September 30, 2010

Vegetable Lasagna


As I mentioned, I have convinced my partner to have one fully vegetarian dinner a week (hey, it's a start!) I realised I have to come up with some pretty awesome vegetarian meals to convince him further, and THIS is definitely one of those meals. I reckon this vegetarian lasagne could turn the most wholehearted carnivore into a vegetarian!

Lately, I have been truly inspired and touched by a blog called Green Kitchen Stories, which is written by a lovely Swedish-Danish couple David and Luis. As much as their lifestyle is enviable, I think it is also achievable. I believe we can all make better choices in what we eat and how we live our lives, and if only there were more couples like David and Luise, I think this planet would be a much better place!

This recipe is adapted from one of their recipes which they called "World's Greatest Vegetable Lasagna". I am not to argue with that statement as I am convinced it truly was the greatest in the world, but as my recipe is an adapted version of theirs, maybe it is fair to call this "World's Second Greatest Vegetable Lasagna" ;-)

Thank you David & Luise (and the cutest little Elsa!) for the inspiration!


Vegetable Lasagna
(Adapted from the Green Kitchen Stories)

For the Tomato Sauce

2 tbs olive oil
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
1 big clove garlic, finely chopped
6 medium sized tomatoes, blanched, peeled and cut into chunks
400g canned cherry tomatoes
2 tbsp French capers, chopped
3 tbs Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
pinch of dried sweet basil
freshly ground black pepper

1/2 small butternut pumpkin, peeled and cut into thin slices
10 big leaves of English spinach, washed

200g Gluten-free lasagna sheets

300g ricotta (7% fat)
zest of 1 organic lemon
juice of 1/2 organic lemon

100g mozzarella, grated

Start with the tomato sauce. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and the garlic and sauté for a few minutes. Add the tomatoes (fresh and canned), 100ml water, capers and olives, the sweet basil and black pepper and bring to boil. Turn down the heat and let simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.

Combine the ricotta and the lemon juice and zest in a bowl.

To assemble, lightly oil an oven dish (I used a round deep oven dish but you could use a rectangular lasanga dish), and place the first layer of lasagna sheets on the bottom. Top with some tomato sauce, 1/2 the pumpkin slices and 1/2 the spinach leaves. Place another layer of lasagne sheets on top, spoon over some tomato sauce, then top with some of the ricotta mixture. Alternate layers of lasagna sheets, tomato sauce, ricotta, pumpkin and spinach so that the last layer will be just lasagna sheets, tomato sauce and ricotta (in other words, place the pumpkin slices and the spinach leaves somewhere in the middle). Top with grated mozzarella and place in a preheated 180C oven for 1 hour. Once done, leave to cool slightly before cutting.

12 comments:

  1. I bet he loved this Maria! It looks wonderful and I agree the key to getting people to eat vegetarian food more is to make it delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite like vegetarian lasagnes as they allow for almost any vegetable mix that you want to use. Also a great way to use up some vegetables which are just past their best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a clever choice for a non-vegetarian! I haven't met anyone that doesn't like a vegetarian lasagna yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that looks so rich and delicious! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made vegetable lasagne last week, and then found out the hard way that this dish is not meant for boys!! My man is so picky. but I love it, i also added zucchini and mushrooms in mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eating vegetarian isn't hard with dishes like this. I actually prefer vegetarian lasagna to meat-filled. All of those roasted veggies make my tongue happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've made a few such lasagne's in the past and have always enjoyed them. It's actually nice not to have meat for a change. You should have tasted the zucchini & goat cheese quiche I had the other day! Ooh la la

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really nice blog you have!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a really fantastic lasagna! I don't think anyone would miss the meat in this dish -- it's so full of flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vegie lasagne is a reasonably safe bet for a vegetarian meal that will still satisfy carnivorous folks, and this really does look like a great recipe. Maybe I'll tweak it a little bit too and can claim third best? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh I love Green Kitchen Stories just as much as you and isn't little Elsa just adorable?

    This lasagna looks delicious - I don't think anyone will miss meat amongst all those lovely veggies and the cheese.

    ReplyDelete