September 24, 2010

Trout and buckwheat with basil lemon dressing


Most of the time I consider myself being a very practical girl. I wear practical shoes (with a 176cm frame I don't exactly need stilettos anyway), I make practical purchases (although some things are just meant to look pretty), and yes I sometimes even make practical decisions about cooking. This is why fish is often on the menu on Fridays as it isn't exactly friendly office food (it often has a fishy smell, to be exact). So often on Fridays I only make enough for dinner, with no leftovers to take for lunch the following day. Practical, I told ya'! ;-)


Trout and Buckwheat with Basil Lemon Dressing

300g trout fillet, deboned
1 cup buckwheat
1 shallot or Spring onions, green parts only, finely sliced

Basil Lemon Dressing
(Recipe adapted from Real Simple)

1/2 cup fresh basil
small pinch of sea salt
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

To pouch the trout, place the fillet in a frying pan, fill with water and bring to boil. Let simmer for 10 minutes or until the fillet is cooked through.

Bring plenty of water to boil in a medium saucepan. Add the buckwheat and let simmer for 5-7 minutes or until tender. Drain well.

To make the dressing, combine all ingredients in a bowl of a food processor and whiz until well combined.

To assemble the dish, break the trout into bite size pieces, and combine with buckwheat. Sprinkle with shallots and drizzle with the basil lemon dressing. Serve with a wedge of lemon.


Have a lovely weekend!


9 comments:

  1. This is exactly the kind of stuff I like to eat too. Although I think no matter what the quantity it'll be all gobbled up with no chance for leftovers.

    psst. they only give you a hard time because they are jealous *wink wink*

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so practical Maria! And I had no idea you were so tall! I'm 158cms so I need stilettoes :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fish is such a good healthy option as well. I think I might hire you as my personal chef ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I used to always just take sandwiches and salads when I worked at a place with no microwave. Doesn't matter these days coz we have a large kitchenette area separated from office desks via a doorway so smelly food is not an issue! Great for those times when I rock up with tuna =p

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so good and fresh. I dont cook trout hardly enough. Its actually one of my favourite fish. Also the addition of the dressing is wonderful. Really nicely packed with flvour, and crunch. As for your height. I totally know about the whole no stiletto thing. I am 181cm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! My hubby recently got a trolling motor for our little boat (we live on a lake) so we'll be eating a lot of trout in the next few weeks. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'd eat tomorrow's share tonight if you made me this anyway. Love that flaky pink fish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds exactly like our next Friday dinner :) Light and healthy combination with some of my favorite ingredients as fish and basil. And I'm always in search of new recipes for whole buckwheat, so thank you very much, Maria! I'll give it a try this week.
    I like your stile!

    ReplyDelete