September 15, 2010

Soy Berry Smoothie


It is no secret that I love dairy. I think it's partly due to my Finnishness because dairy really is a big thing in Finland. Not a single day goes by without me having some dairy, usually in the form of milk, yoghurt or cheese. Lately I've swapped my milk to lactose-free milk due to my partner's trial diet, which has been fine until I suddenly got a craving for soy milk. We used to drink mostly soy milk at one stage, but then swapped back to regular low fat cow's milk, and when I now went back to buy a carton of soy milk I realised just how many additives and how much sugar it actually contains. So back in the shelf for the milk and instead I bought a whole kilo of raw soy beans!

Making soy milk is not a traditional Finnish thing, and soy is not as big in Finland as it is, say in Japan or other Asian countries. In fact, tofu is still ridiculously expensive even compared to the Australian prices! I recently had fresh soy milk made by my Singaporean friend, and I really loved it, although her version was quite a bit sweeter than mine!

I can guarantee making soy milk is not hard, and most definitely worth it! I whipped up these delicious soy berry smoothies while cooking dinner, and I have to say it was hardly any extra effort at all. Just remember, you need to start this recipe a day before you serve it. I haven't added any sugar to these smoothies and I honestly don't think you need to. The berries have their own natural sweetness and the natural vanilla adds to it.


Soy Berry Smoothie
(Serves 2)

125g soy beans (will make litre of milk)
water

300g mixed frozen berries (raspberries, blueberries)
1/2 tsp natural vanilla extract

Soak the beans overnight in plenty of fresh water. The following day, drain the beans, transfer to a bowl and microwave for 2 minutes on high. Add one litre of water in a large mixer bowl, add the beans and process until smooth. Sieve the mixture through a fine sieve or through a cheese cloth and recover the soy milk. Put the soy milk in a medium saucepan and bring to boil. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes. Leave to cool. Place the cooled down soy milk in a food processor, add the berries and the vanilla extract and process until smooth and frothy.

10 comments:

  1. I remember when I was small, my dad would make us soy milk. I must have been quite small as I remember looking up quite high and seeing him squeezing the beans! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Maria, it would never had occurred to me to try making my own soy milk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love freshly made soy milk, it tastes so much better than that purchased stuff that is full of sugar and additives to make it taste more like dairy milk. Real soy milk tastes subtley nutty like the beans they're made from and is delicious as its own self rather than a poor substitute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful smoothies. I was making smoothies for a while and posting about them but kind of fell out of the habit. Smoothies are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love berry smoothies, these looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, you made your own soy milk - impressive! This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wanting to make my own soy milk and you've totally inspired me! The smoothie looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i make my own soy all the time too! its good stuff and you can decide how sweet you want it (the ones i get in the stores tend to be too sweet for me). never thought about making a smoothie out of soy tho! great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely adore soy milk (might have to do with me being Asian) but ive never made it before!! ... you've totally inspired me to give it a go Maria! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. refreshing drink! Nice to be here, best wishes.

    ReplyDelete