September 16, 2010

The Simplest Poached Salmon & Potato Salad


I am all for creating healthy and delicious meals at home even when life is at its busiest. In my mind there is no excuse for getting take-away when you can cook a home-made meal with less time, effort and cost. Admittedly this is easier if you happen to be an organised person. I always have ingredients in my freezer, fridge or pantry to whip up a proper meal, and when some might argue my 447 litre fridge looks full it can still look empty to me. That gives you an idea of how fully stocked it usually is.

This simple poached salmon and potato salad is definitely one of those quick and healthy meals.
You can of easily amend this by using a different type of fish, you could use broccolini or asparagus instead of green beans, and even use pasta instead of potato. The point is there are only a few ingredients, and yet it still is a full, healthy meal.


The Simplest Poached Salmon & Potato Salad

300g salmon or trout fillet, deboned
200-300g chat potatoes, washed
100g green beans, washed and tips cut off
few sprigs of fresh dill, for serving
lemon wedges, for serving

Vinaigrette

2-3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp (or to taste) lemon juice
tiny pinch of sea salt
freshly ground pepper, to taste

Place the fillet of salmon in a medium frying pan and cover with cold water. Bring to boil and let simmer for 10-15 minutes or until cooked through. Place the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to boil and let simmer until cooked through. Set aside to cool. In a small saucepan, bring some water to boil, add the green beans and boil for just a couple of minutes. Drain and immediately rinse with cold water. To make the vinaigrette, place all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk well to combine.

To serve, fork the cooked salmon into bite sized pieces. Cut the potatoes in half or quarters, and half the beans. Assemble on plates, add the dill and drizzle with the vinaigrette. Serve with additional lemon wedge on the side.

12 comments:

  1. Me being me, I'd want some aioli, mayonnaise or sour cream on that as well!

    And yes, you fridge did indeed look full-ish when u described it as empty =p

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does look simple, and so delicious! Love your blog, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful salad, love the fresh dill here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple, fresh, delicious.
    Salmon ftw, every time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum i love salmon! i need to eat more fish and i reckon this salad would be perfect

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Panu is going to eat at yours when we get home. He loves healthy dinners... and I'm lazy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks very fresh and delicious. I bet it's fantastic with the fresh dill!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you! I never order takeout if I can help it! This is truly a beautiful example of how you can always find somethign tasty to cook with what you have on hand! I love salmon salads!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this looks so perfect and exactly what I feel like. It looks like a meal full of goodness and light...like an angel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Salmon is my favourite fish. I eat it at least once a week, usually after PUMP. This is a nice easy salad that is very healthy. Luv it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm salmon and potatoes, my two fave foods together in a salad sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We tested this recipe with frozen salmon and it tasted fabulous. The vinaigrette is simple, yet crisp and tasty. Thanks for this delicious concoction!

    ReplyDelete