September 03, 2010

Rice-Crusted Vegetable Quiche


Had you been in my kitchen lately, you would have more often than not heard me mumble "if this is going to work, I'll be very surprised..." All this is, of course, due to my recent experiments in the field of gluten-free cooking and whilst making this quiche, I definitely had my doubts whether this would turn out to be anything edible. I did not have a plan B for dinner, however, so I'm very pleased (and relieved) to say the recipe did work!

I do love quiches every now and then, but I often find them too greasy. This is the first quiche base recipe I've ever seen that has practically no fat (part from a couple of tablespoons of cheese). By all means, if you have another recipe please let me know, as I'd love to try other versions too!

I've made this a vegetarian version, but as you can imagine, there is plenty of room for different variations. You could make the traditional ham & cheese quiche, or salmon & leek, or try different vegetables, really whatever you fancy or already have in your fridge. Whatever the filling, I can recommend trying this base because it really works surprisingly well!


Rice-Crusted Vegetable Quiche
(Recipe adapted from Sue Shepherd's
The Gluten-free Kitchen)

3 cups cooked long-grain rice, warm
(equals about 1 cup uncooked rice)
1 large egg
2 tbsp finely grated cheese (I used organic Edam,
but the original recipe called for parmesan)

Filling

2 medium sized zucchini, coarsely grated (about 200g)
2 medium sized carrots, coarsely grated (about 200g)
4 large eggs
1/3 cup light cream (I used lactose-free light cream)
150g grated (low fat) cheddar
3-4 fresh thyme sprigs
salt, freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 170C and grease a 28cm quiche dish. Combine the cooked rice, egg and cheese in a bowl. With wetted hands, press the rice mixture into the base and the sides of the quiche dish. Bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly coloured.

To make the filling, squeeze the extra water off the grated vegetables. In a large bowl, beat the eggs lightly, and add in the cream and the cheddar. Add the vegetables and season with salt, pepper and thyme. Pour into the rice crust and bake for 20-25 minutes or until well set. Leave to cool slightly and serve warm with fresh salad.

Quiche ready to go back in the oven


Happy Weekend!

28 comments:

  1. Yum :) You know, I'm always so impressed by gluten free alternatives for things like pastry. There are some very creative gluten free cooks out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Voi että näyttää hyvältä, samoin edellinenkin reseptisi tuossa alla! Mulla on jäänyt kokkailu vähemmälle, mutta eihän näitä kuviasi voi vastustaa.. niin pakko löytää jostakin viikonloppuna aikaa kokkailulle ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. a rice crust is brilliant! i really love toasted rice so this would be interesting mmm thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one simply looks stunning! Chapeau :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, I love rice crusted anything especially when it goes crispy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you've opted for the healthier version! Literally no fat apart from the cheese... perfect way to get ready for bikini season hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is awesome! i've never seen anything like this before...haha rice crust! lol. reminds me of mos burger (burgers with rice patties instead of buns!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Genius! I am definitely trying this crust, Maria. You know, the rice crust almost sounds better to me taste-wise too...
    Oh, and i never really make 'quiche' anymore due to the greasy/fat factor. I make vegetable pie. Quiche's best cousin (smile)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so great! I love quiches and would love to try this rice crusted version.

    ReplyDelete
  10. now that's what i call a unique quiche! what an inventive and delicious crust, and the filling ain't too shabby either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd never have thought of a rice crusted quiche, but then the sticky bits at the bottom of the rice cooker are often the bets bits!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rice crust - brilliant! Great for people like me who are too lazy to make pastry but often have leftover rice hanging around...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Luckily, I saw the beautiful picture before anything else! Using rice as a crust is not something I'd normally pay attention to - but then again - your pics made me a convert!

    ReplyDelete
  14. great job on the recipe!!! i reckon those crusts are hard to make.

    ReplyDelete
  15. a rice crust, great idea! I love your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never heard of a rice crust, what a great idea, plus healthier ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh I love this idea! It sounds very tasty and I'm on a rice kick lately too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great recipe!

    I love the photos.

    Great to meet up again today!

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great quiche! I love that it's not greasy and the rice crust is so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a refreshing and healthy take on quiche! Can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful! I never thought of making a rice crust. Brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love crispy rice =) This sounds like an awesome idea!! And it's so much easier than making pastry....haha I'll definitely try this next time I make quiche- it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh brilliant. This would have the added bonus of surprising people once they realise what the crust is made of. Looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  24. CRISPY RICE BASE! That's a brilliant idea! Thanks for this meat-less recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've never seen anything like this before! Didn't know rice could be used as a crust. Looks gorgeous. Must try this out one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I tried making this and it really doesn't work. The crust has the wrong kind of crispy texture that gets in the way of the smooth filling; the whole point of fat in recipes is to improve the mouth feel and moisten the recipe. I made it again with gluten-free flour, vegan parmesan, vegetable lard and soya spread and it worked/tasted much better.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Poppy,

    I'm sorry you had a bad experience.
    I really liked the crust especially because of the crisp! Your crust sound delicious, glad you got to enjoy it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. This sounds fantastic -- love the idea of the crispy rice crust! There is a Persian rice dish in which the crispy rice crust is the best part & we fight over the Tagig. :)

    http://www.food.com/recipe/traditional-persian-basmati-rice-with-tadig-423313

    ReplyDelete