September 20, 2010

Ottolenghi's Roasted Butternut Squash with Burnt Aubergine and Pomegranate Molasses


Ottolenghi's simple food philosophy is something I really want to live by:

"We keep food as natural as possible (...),
we make best of what we have and don't interfere with it too much"


This is food realism, keeping it simple, not playing with food, and honouring the real flavours. This is exactly what I live for. Keeping this in mind I cannot stop braising the genius behind the Ottolenghi recipes. They are just deliriously tasty, well balanced and wholesome. Take this roasted butternut pumpkin with burnt aubergine and pomegranate molasses, for instance. I am not the one glorying my own makings, but since I cannot take the credit for this wizard of flavours, I can honestly and wholeheartedly say this was possibly one of the best meals I have ever had.

There is the humble roasted pumpkin which already on its own is one of the best things I can imagine having. Combine that with the toasted seed mix and enjoy with the most amazing dip, you'll get the idea of what I'm talking about.

You have to try this!


Roasted Butternut Squash with Burnt Aubergine and Pomegranate Molasses
(Recipe from Ottolenghi, The Cookbook)

1 large butternut squash
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp green, unsalted pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp sunflower seeds
1 tbsp black sesame seeds
(1 tsp nigella seeds)
10g sliced almonds
basil leaves, to serve
sea salt, freshly ground black pepper

Sauce

1 medium aubergine
150g (I used less, about 100g) Greek yoghurt
(I used plain Organic yoghurt)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp pomegranate molasses (I love this stuff!)
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
(1 garlic clove, crushed)

Preheat oven to 220C. Trim the top and the bottom of the pumpkin and cut in half lengthways. Scoop out the seeds and cut each half into 3cm wedges. Cut each wedge into pieces about 5-7cm long. Place the pumpkin wedges on a roasting tray lined with baking paper, brush each wedge with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper. Roast for 30 minutes or until they feel just tender. Remove from the oven and let cool.

Reduce the oven temperature to 180C. Mix together all seeds and almonds and scatter on a roasting tray. Toast for 5-8 minutes or until slightly brown and fragrant (be careful not to burn them!)

For the sauce, place the aubergine under a very hot grill for about 30minutes or until the skin has clearly cracked and the aubergine feels heavy and soft. Remove from the oven, make a long cut through the aubergine and scoop out the flesh. Leave the flesh to drain in a colander for a few minutes, then chop the aubergine flesh roughly.

In a bowl, mix together the parsley, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, aubergine and the yoghurt. Season with extra salt and pepper if you wish (I didn't have to).

Place the butternut on a serving plate, sprinkle with the seed mix and serve with the aubergine sauce.

Enjoy to the fullest!

19 comments:

  1. Oh my, sounds fabulous! Can't wait to have chance to try the combo! Have a lovely beginning for the week, Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone keeps telling me how great Ottolenghi's cookbooks are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This guy's recipes are truly inspired. What a great food philosophy he has and which we should all try to strive towards doing. Beautiful pictures too Maria...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahh. another recipe I must doggy ear. It looks so deliciously gooood!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pumpkin & auburgine go so well together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ottolenghi's recipes are so brilliant. Love the use of pumpkin and pomegranate, and how you've placed it on the blue plate. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooh i love Ottolenghi stuff! Is this out of the first or second book? I have the first but haven't noticed this recipe (well, there are a LOT of awesome recipes)... looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was feeling very pleased with myself for resisting this cookbook, but now I'm starting to feel foolish. This sounds and looks damn good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also am a fan of pomegranate molasses! I bet it's amazing in this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this look delicious...love it with all the seed in it...and pomegranate molasses...fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooOooo pomegranate molasses?? Ive never tried it before... where do you get it from?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for your comments! I really appreciate it :-)

    The Dainty Baker: You should be able to find pomegranate molasses in all specialty shops. I got mine at the Fourth Village Providore in Mosman.

    Thank you again!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ottolenghi is THE MAN! I'm featuring his cookbook on my blog this month and I'm really enjoying the journey of trying his recipes. They are SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. holy yummy, i love this mix. mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks awesome. Ottolenghi is around the corner from my sister's place in London. She LOVES him! You have so many cool cookbooks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love roast pumpkin! Mmm, maybe I should get this book to to help inspire me to keep healthy this coming summer =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the idea of this dish, perfect for the impending summer. I'm going to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds amazing! His cookbook just arrived in the post yesterday. Can't wait to dig through the pages and cook his dishes

    ReplyDelete
  19. I recently fell in love with pomegranate molasses and this looks excellent with squash. Must. Try. Soon!

    ReplyDelete