September 06, 2010

Finnish Rhubarb Soup


When my parents visited us in January they brought along something that really has a special meaning to me: mum's recipe card collection from 1973. I remember playing with the cards when I was a little girl, and I especially liked to "organise" them (I had an obsession to cleaning already at very young age). My understanding of organising at that age was, however, probably sorting them according to colour, not numbers, thus making it a bit more challenging for mum to navigate through the recipes.


Her collection of recipe cards is quite extensive, probably containing close to 1,000 cards that cover all themes from "mouth watering desserts" to "loose weight with us", which definitely back in those days didn't mean having pulverised meal replacements!

I really love the photography, styling and recipe writing in these cards. The language used is so innocent and old school, but it makes it all the more adorable.

This Finnish rhubarb soup recipe is in one of the cards, but I didn't really need a recipe to make it. I grew up eating this soup as a light dessert in Summer when rhubarbs were growing in abundance, and it is just so easy to make. This is definitely another Finnish classic.


Finnish Rhubarb Soup

300g rhubarb (leaves trimmer, red skins peeled off,
washed and cut into small pieces
)
750ml water

40g sugar

1 cinnamon stick

2 tbsp potato starch

some cold water, extra


In a medium sauce pan, bring the water and the sugar into boil. Add rhubarb and the cinnamon stick and let simmer covered until the rhubarb has softened (about 10 minutes). Remove the cinnamon stick from the soup. Mix the potato starch with some cold water to form a smooth paste and stir into the soup. Stir well, let come to "bubble" and remove from heat. Serve room temperature or cold.

20 comments:

  1. Ah, memories! My mother had a similar set of cards in a box. I wonder what happened to them? I bet some of the recipes are due for a revival. Rhubarb soup sounds lovely - would you serve it with a dollop of cream, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, the recipe cards are adorable! Did she buy them all together as a set, or were they collected in stages?

    And, yes, organising things is a Virgo trait =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful cards, so stunning!

    Rhubarb soup, interesting combo

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious, especially with some vanilla ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! The recipe cards look so cool! We've never had a recipe card collection- I only first heard about them when we had to make one for a food tech assignment....haha
    This soup looks delicious =) I love your Finnish recipes- they're so different and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The soup brings back so many childhood memories! My mom has the same recipe box:) Have a great beginning of the week, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only ever cooked rhubarb in desserts, so this is something very different, looks good

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha, we have a set of those recipe cards in the same red box, are yours in Finnish? The publishers must have cleaned up publishing them all over the world! I loved playing with them too though don't recall ever making a single recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's been a while since I have seen a recipe box. It's wonderful to have such a sentimental recipe collection. This rhubarb soup looks delicious and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am in love with vintage recipes. My mom had an old Betty Crocker cookbook that I still pore over every chance I get. This soup sounds delicious, thanks for sharing something so special with us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What gorgeous little cards and they're in such pristine condition too! :o Ahh I've heard of blueberry soup but not rhubarb soup, it looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder if my Mum still has her recipe card box from the '70s? I need to find out. Lovely soup Maria

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for all your comments! x

    Bel: You could serve it with cream, but traditionally no :-)

    Mademoiselle délicieuse: She collected them in
    stages :-)

    YaYa: Sure is! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's the recipe cards - they are even cuter than I imagined!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohh in Sweden we have something similar. We eat it cold with some vanilla ice cream for dessert. So many memories.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also love fresh rhubatb. My father has it in abundance in his garden too!

    I love this tasty & easy rhubarb soup!!!

    PS/ Your mom's recipes cards are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  17. great post i just love vintage recipes thanks for sharing it interesting blog..............

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never had rhubarb soup - this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an interesting flavour combination! I can't quite imagine how rhubarb and cinnamon would taste together but would love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i love the box of recipe cards!

    ReplyDelete