September 02, 2010

Crab Cakes


Have you ever thought that sometimes it is probably for the better that things don't turn out the way you had originally planned? Take these crab cakes, for instance. In my mind I had planned to make an omelette and fill it with crab meat, but I thought I could get away with using canned crab instead of fresh one. Of course I was wrong (what was I thinking, I do not recall), and as soon as I opened the jar of mushy white crab I knew I would have to fill my omelette with something else (which ended up being pan fried fish). Waste not, want not, however, and I decided to use the tinned crab meat to make these crab cakes. Turned out I did not only have a delicious omelette, I had delicious crab cakes as well! Double win!

I've used this recipe to make fish cakes before and I think it works wonderfully with salmon or tuna. I knew I really had to work up the flavours to compensate the use of tinned crab, and as my partner had a taste of these and said "they're good, but I can't really taste the crab", I knew my mission had been accomplished.

Once again I've made these gluten-free, but of course you can use normal plain flour for dusting and normal bread crumbs for coating.

Crab Cakes

1 can gluten-free crab meat (about 200g), drained
zest of one lemon, finely grated
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tbs Dijon mustard
2-3 medium potatoes, cooked and mashed
small handful of fresh dill, finely chopped
2 x 10cm shallots, green parts only, finely chopped
sea salt, freshly ground black pepper

a couple of tablespoons of gluten-free plain flour for dusting
1 egg, lightly whisked
rice crumbs for coating

canola oil for frying
salad leaves, lemon wedges and fresh dill, for serving

Mix all the crab cake ingredients together. Form into small round cakes (should make about 8). Dust the cakes first in flour, then dip in the whisked egg and lastly roll in the rice crumbs to coat. Heat some oil in a medium sized frying pan and fry the cakes on all sides for a few minutes until golden brown. Place on a paper towel to drain, then serve with fresh salad, dill and lemon wedges as a light meal.

Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. I like how you have served these in a salad. I have only had fish cakes unceremoniously dumped on a plate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria these look amazing... my husband has been bugging me to blog/make crab cakes but haven't found a recipe - until now! Your pictures are gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, these look delicious! It just looks like spring on a plate :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo these look like the perfect dish for a Sunday lunch!! and I agree with Betty, very spring on a plate indeed

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to improvise! I also hate wasting...plus it's so much fun to experiment in the kitchen, isn't it? These crab cakes sound perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look fab! Thanks for sharing, but just be careful - some canned crab is NOT gluten free!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone for your comments and thank you Lara for pointing that out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice one. These would be good as cocktail party food as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love crab cakes but can never be bothered to laboriously clean out a crab of its meat to make them. Crab cake burgers are also beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look very pretty sprinkled with the dill. Double score to get a tasty seafood ommie AND seafood cakes too :)

    ReplyDelete