September 29, 2010

Chicken with Orange Pecan Dressing


While I eat only vegetarian food at home, I cook free-range chicken for my partner most nights of the week. Red meat is usually on the menu only once a week, and fish a couple of nights a week. I have also convinced him to have one fully vegetarian dinner a week (but really it's up to me since I'm the one doing the cooking anyway). But because I cook chicken so often, I try to come up with variety of different recipes. I like making chicken meatballs as well as those are so quick and easy to prepare and cook in the oven. You can easily alter the flavour in them by using different herbs and spices.

Although I'm serving chicken with this orange pecan dressing, it is most definitely suitable for vegetarian salads or even fish as well. The flavour is just so refreshing and delicious, I really recommend you give it a go!


Chicken with Orange Pecan Dressing
(Recipe adapted from 80/20 Diet by Teresa Cutter)

2 free-range chicken breasts, cut into pieces
2 tbsp olive oil, for frying
sea salt, freshly ground black pepper

60ml orange juice
1 orange, segmented
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp flaxseed (linseed) oil
1 small handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
30g pecans, chopped

baby spinach, to serve

Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the chicken and fry until cooked through. Season with salt and pepper. (Alternatively you can poach the chicken).

To make the dressing, combine all ingredients in a bowl, and stir well.

Serve the chicken with baby spinach (or rice) and drizzle with the dressing.

Enjoy!


5 comments:

  1. The flavor of orange sounds so bright and refreshing in this salad! It's perfect with the nuts...gorgeous meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Orange pecan dressing sounds lovely with the chicken! Way to get inventive with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. orange juice dressing- sounds lovely maria :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel alot healthier already looking at your pictures but very lovely!

    Can u cook for me too, please? I'm pretty sure i'd be 2kg down by end of the month :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maria this is just about the perfect kind of dinner for me! I'm not a huge carbs person so lean, tasty protein and salad is my ideal meal! :D

    ReplyDelete