September 12, 2010

Buckwheat & Spelt Blinis with Ginger Maple Syrup


During our trip to St Petersburg my partner and I visited the local "Maccas" a few times. Now, when I say Maccas (McDonalds), I don't quite mean what you might think... See, this fast food chain in Russia serves only blinis, the Russian buckwheat pancakes, instead of burgers and fries you would find at your local fast food shop. There is a large selection of savoury and sweet fillings available for the blinis, and one of my favourites was smoked salmon and cooked buckwheat served with a big and thin blini (almost like a crepe). This is the kind of fast food I like!

These blinis, although thicker and smaller kind, took me vividly back to the historic St Petersburg. I love using buckwheat flour and I have replaced the more common wheat flour with spelt flour which gives the batter even more flavour. The mildly sour taste and the foamy texture is made by letting the yeast to ferment the batter for a few hours. It is definitely worth the wait as these are not your average pancakes!

This time I omitted the conservative accompanies of caviar, thick sour cream and red onion and opted for a new twist with gingery maple syrup that I saw being used on this Finnish website. Such a perfect Sunday treat!


Buckwheat & Spelt Blinis with Ginger Maple Syrup

2 tsp instant dried yeast
400ml milk (lactose-free)
200ml light (lactose-free) cream (you could also use sour cream)
130g organic buckwheat flour
65g organic spelt flour
2 large free range eggs, separated
1 tsp salt
30g butter, melted

butter for frying

grated ginger and organic maple syrup, for serving

In a large bowl, combine the milk and the cream and microwave until hand-warm. Mix in the yeast and stir well. Mix in the flours and whisk lightly. Leave to ferment for at leat 3 to 4 hours in room temperature.

In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Stir in the egg yolks, melted butter and salt with the fermented flour mixture and fold in the egg whites. Cook the blinis on a hot, buttered frying pan until golden brown on both sides.

Mix a teaspoon or two of grated ginger with a good amount of maple syrup (as much as you want, really) and serve with the warm blinis.

Enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. I love buckwheat and spelt too! Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha McDonald's here doesn't have anything this miraculous. I mean, ginger maple syrup. That's like a dream of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like the best fast-food ever. I bet they're perfect with the ginger-maple syrup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria, this is my first visit to your blog. I've just spent some time browsing through some of your earlier entries and must tell you how much I enjoyed my visit. I'll be back often. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh man Maria these look GREAT! Ginger and maple syrup... yummmm!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just too awesome!! i want there to be a place like that here!!
    I think I need to try these!! love the first photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks fantastic in that cast iron pan. I'd love it for breakfast :)

    Nice blog by the way, and thanks for the comment on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really impressed how you are supporting Mr S. F. in his diet and coming up with loads of really interesting glulten free dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blinis are so fluffy - I'm sure the cast iron pan helps. And the pan looks so good in the photos, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so upset I didn't come across this place when I was in St Petersburg! I'm also upset I don't have such a cute little pan. These look perfectly done, and I love the idea of ginger maple syrup :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking good! Mmm ginger maple syrup sounds good. It's funny how McDonald's in some countries are totally different and serve more local foods.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful and fluffy! I never understand how people get such perfect round pancakes?
    p.s. I live in a place called St. Petersburg (smile)...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha now that's a Macca's that I'd love! Mmm your blinis look delicious Maria but that last picture of a morsel on a fork is making my stomach growl! :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Maria,
    Just came across your blog and I must say I just love the type of food you make. It is not often that I find a blog where I would like to eat really everything.
    And ginger maple syrup, I would just love it!

    All the Best from Berlin,
    Malin

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now that's a maccas worth frequenting! Your blinis look delicious! I usually like mine with smoked salmon but I am impartial to ginger and wouldn't be able to resist yours! Yum!

    ReplyDelete