September 19, 2010

Apple & Walnut Loaf


Weekends often feel like a marathon in my household: there is a lot of housework to catch up on, friends to catch up with, outdoor exercise to do and at the same time I would like to spend as much time in the kitchen as I can. It's no exaggeration to say that I often feel like I need an extra day to relax after my weekend, and I think many people would in fact agree with this.


This is why it is nice to include some indulgence in my weekends. Whether it some impulse shopping I can do, a rare occasion of a massage or a nice cake like this apple & walnut loaf. You don't need to slave in the kitchen for hours making this cake, it does not include complex icing or decorations, it is just a few ingredients put together and an hour later enjoyed with a nice cup of tea.


Apple & Walnut Cake
(Recipe adapted from taste.com.au)

125g unsalted butter, softened
220g brown sugar
1 tsp natural vanilla extract
2 free-range eggs
2 Granny Smith apples
225g spelt flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
125ml milk
60g walnuts, finely chopped
1 tbs brown sugar, extra

Preheat oven to 170C and grease a loaf pan (9,5cm x 19cm). Using electric beaters, beat the butter, sugar and vanilla until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one by one beating well after each addition. Peel and core one apple and cut into small dice. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, 1 tsp of cinnamon and baking powder. Add the flour mixture into the butter mixture alternately with the milk mixing well but gently. Add in the apple dice and the walnuts and combine well. Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Peel the other apple, cut in half and remove the core. Cut the halves into thin slices and place on top of the cake. Sprinkle with extra sugar and cinnamon and bake for one hour or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.

Indulge!

14 comments:

  1. Looks nice, I like a cake with apple in. Not keen on walnuts though so I think I'd swap them out for something else. Love the flowers. I never think to do things like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about making something simple and light for my weekend tea. this looks and sounds perfect. nice one maria :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the flavour and texture of apple cakes. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely need a vacation after my weekends as they are the time that I designate as study time! Not fun.

    This apple walnut cake would definitely make them better though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A loaf is always a low effort baking option that yields great results. Simple yet satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. definitely love a loaf that is quick to whip up! looks delish maria!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the trail of flowers leading up to your apple walnut loaf. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pic and the pretty pansies - well done! luv luv from Cape Town, Michael

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely cake! I would love to top it with a dollop of Greek yogurt and enjoy it for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ive been looking for my own version of "banana bread" since i dont eat banana and i think ive jst found it! Apple and walnut sounds like a great combo!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know what you mean about "marathons". That pretty much describes my weekends, so I love this simple but delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love this set of photos, Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i was looking for an apple and walnut recipe the other day since i had those ingredients in large amts in my kitchen! looks like comfort food...:) and love the pansies!

    ReplyDelete