August 09, 2010

Tetsuya's Flourless Chocolate Cake


Was I able to restrain myself? Obviously not. As the last piece of the flourless orange cake disappeared, I rolled up my sleeves to try the recipe for Tetsuya's Flourless Chocolate Cake. This is also a gluten free cake, but instead of almond meal, it requires a small amount of corn flour in the batter. There is no baking powder in the recipe, and I omitted the cream of tartar which was in the original recipe, so there is a high chance of the cake to turn out flat. No worries if it does, just use your imagination to cut the cake in different shapes as it certainly doesn't affect the fluffy, moist and spongy texture.

I should probably tell you that my recent fascination for gluten free cakes is not entirely accidental. My partner is on a trial diet for certain food intolerances, and therefore is not advised to have large quantities of wheat flour. This is of course affecting my baking habits, so until the trial is over, I'll have to either a) bake when he is not around and distroy the evidence before he gets home to avoid the temptation or b) bake gluten free goodies. So far I've tried the latter, but if the trial goes for much longer I might need to resort to the first option...

My apologies for the lack of "step by step" pictures in this post. Juggling a camera while cooking in a tiny kitchen is always a challenge, and proved too much to handle this time. To compensate the lack of photos I shall try to write the instructions to a t. ;-)

Tetsuya's Flourless Chocolate Cake
(Recipe adapted from the book 'Tetsuya')

50g dark, 70% chocolate
20g dark, unsweetened Dutch cocoa
20g corn flour (cornstarch)
50g unsalted butter, softened
40g caster sugar
4 eggs (65g each), separated
(1/4 tsp cream of tartar)

pure icing sugar, shaved chocolate, cream or ice cream to serve

Preheat the oven to 200C. Grease and flour a 24cm x 9cm loaf tin. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler and set aside to cool. Seave the cocoa and the corn flour and combine thoroughly.
Whisk the butter until light and creamy. Add half of the sugar, and continue to whisk another 3 minutes. Add the egg yolks and whisk a further few minutes.

In another bowl, whisk the egg whites with the remaining sugar (and cream of tartar) until soft peaks form. Fold in one-third of the cocoa mixture, then gently fold in the rest.

Mix the melted chocolate until smooth. Fold the egg whites into the melted chocolate, then gently fold in the butter mixture. Gently spoon in to the prepared tin. Place the tin a baking dish half filled with boiling water and bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.

Enjoy!

21 comments:

  1. wonderfull recipe! delicious!:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet.A flourless chocolate cake. This recipe is wayyy better than the ''dense, loeaded with butter'' recipe. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fabulous :) and it's so 'Donna Hay'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the recipe looks so simple and easy - just the right stuff for me to try it out! And love the tiffany-blue plates Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm curious, was it light or was it dense? This will satisfy any chocoholic! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummo. Can we see a g/f matcha cake next? I know you can do it;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm trying to decide whether I like the orange or this chocolate cake more. Considering I'd have to taste them to find out (hint, hint), I guess I'll never know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mostly dietary exclusions can seem exclusive but it can also open up a whole world of cooking experimentation as seen here.

    I'm also starting to wonder how many things you bake in a week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never do step-by-step photos. There is just too much mess going on in my kitchen whenever I cook. This looks and sounds incredible. Flourless cakes always mean extra decadence in my books :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. DUDE your blog went and changed on me over the last few days! LOVE the new layout, very clean and nice. And yummy choc cake :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks delicious!! YUM!! Flourless chocolate cake. Seems so simple to make too!
    Would you mond checking out my blog? :D http://ajscookingsecrets.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very simple and delicious looking recipe. Gorgeous photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much guys! Amy, it was incredibly light! John, don't tempt me! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just saw a beautiful looking flour-less cake on yum sugar the other day reminding how interested in making one I am. Then here you are (I saw this on food gawker) with just what I wanted! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, this looks gorgeous Maria! One can never have too much chocolate ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok now I'm thinking a marbled chocolate, orange and matcha cake! Go on Maria, take the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This cake looks fantastic. There's nothing better than a piece of warm chocolate cake fresh out of the oven. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anything associated to Tesuya MUST taste good =D Don't worry about the lack of photos, the two are enough to get the drool going =p

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aren't you sweet making him treats that he can eat while on his trial diet. And a Tetsuya recipe no less! I've always wanted to make this dessert! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is the perfect recipe! Easy to make and tastes great. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete