August 26, 2010

Sweet Berry Soup


Where Finland might lack in exotic fruit they certainly have an abundance of wild berries. Most kids grow up helping their mums and dads picking berries of all sorts: wild blueberries, lingonberries, cloudberries... all available for everyone to pick for free. My parents always have a huge freezer full of berries at the end of the season and my 94 year old granny still picks more berries than she can possibly consume within one year.

This berry soup is probably one of the most common desserts in Finland, and it's almost always made using frozen berries. In my family mum would often make this soup using frozen strawberries and we would have it with rice porridge as a light meal. Similar soup is also made using rhubarb which is another one of my favourites.


Sweet Berry Soup

400g frozen berries
500ml water
50g sugar
3 tbs potato starch
2-3 tbs cold water

Add the frozen berries, water and sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to boil without stirring. Mix together the potato flour and water to form a smooth runny paste and add slowly and stirring into the berry mixture. Let the soup come "to bubble", and then take off the heat. Spoon into serving bowls and serve on its own or with porridge, you could even try it with a bit of natural yoghurt. If you're not serving the soup immediately, sprinkle the top with a bit of caster sugar to avoid a "film" forming on the top.

Enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. Oh my, that looks so yummy. It's funny, I have had berry soup on my list for future blog posts. Haven't done it yet, but maybe will this fall. I think the recipe should be passed on - it's so simple and tasty. A great post, Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a fruit soup. So refreshing, and a great way to use the abundance of sweet berries that are available. It would be lovely to have more berries than you knew what to do with! Does your grandmother (mummi?) make jams from all her berries, too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning! Nice on its own, over iceream or even over toasted brioche or waffles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous ... WOW!! Is the first time I've heard of a berry soup, and I'm seriously lovin' it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandmother made this for us from the fresh raspberries, and this brings back wonderful memories! Now I will try it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maria, this berry soup looks fantastic...so easy and pretty...will try it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would be fantastic to be able to pick fresh berries by the bucketload. So it's a good thing this lovely soup is made with frozen berries considering the lack of fresh here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hehe as soon as I saw the title I thought back to our wonderful holiday in Finland! I can't believe how many berries we ate in such a relatively small space of time :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this! I don't have much experience with sweet soup, but I can imagine how tasty it can be! (Plus, it looks so good!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. this looks beautiful maria. I love berries

    ReplyDelete
  11. If only we had the luxury of picking wild berries here! I absolutely love berries, especially strawberries and raspberries, and can never get enough of their tartness in desserts, drinks, or on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Maria,
    I am a fellow Finn living on the Gold Coast. I have been craving this for the past week now, so funny that you posted this recipe at the same time! The rice porridge is now simmering away on the stove... Can't wait to have it tonight.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous!

    Keri

    www.samwich365.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for all your comments!

    Julia: No, she doesn't. We usually have our berries on their own or in a soup like this. At the beginning of the season all old left over berries (if any) from the freezer would be made into berry juice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmmm.. a perfect desert for what I planned dinner for our 2nd Anniversary next week. I'm sure she gonna love it since she like sweets and strawberry. Thanks for the idea.. I owe you a lot.


    kosher

    ReplyDelete