August 28, 2010

Seafood, fennel & lime salad


I'm loving all the fresh fennel at the moment and in my opinion they are best had at salads when you can still feel the crunch and the freshness and the beautiful aniseed flavour. With the addition of prawns and squid this salad is very wholesome and makes a perfect light meal on its own. It has so many flavours going for it: the aniseed, the fresh lime, the dill and the slight kick with the chilli.


Seafood, fennel and lime salad
(Recipe adapted from Ottolenghi The Cookbook)

1 big fennel bulb, finely sliced
1/2 Spanish onion, finely sliced
juice and grated zest of 1 lime
2 tbsp chopped dill
piece of mild chilli, seeded and finely sliced
4 tbsp olive oil
5 King prawns, peeled and de-veined
1 small tube of squid, cleaned and cut into rings
1 tbsp sumac
sea salt

In a large bowl, mix together the fennel, onion, lime juice and zest, dill, chilli and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and set aside. Place a grill pan over a high heat and leave until hot. Mix the prawns and the squid with the rest of the olive oil and season with salt. Grill them for a few minutes or until just cooked through. Add the seafood into the salad bowl, season with sumac and toss together.

12 comments:

  1. Sadly I don't like fennel but I love seafood

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria that first pic is seafood perfection. It looks so light and fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks so delicate and fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sumac? Really? In the U.S., there is a poisonous sumac plant, which I am sure this is quite different from.

    This salad looks so wonderful and tasty. Is the sumac found in the fresh herbs? Where would I look for this, because your salad and recipe looks so good and I would love to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a wonderful meal for the hot weather we're having. Sounds fresh and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your comments everyone!

    Marti: I used ground sumac which is here sold as a spice. It's a typical Mediterranean spice and goes well with poultry, seafood or salads. I hope you can find it and get to try it, it has such a wonderful flavour! Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Maria! This salad does sound like it has so much going for it, and I love the flavors you chose. Plus, I want to try fresh fennel in a salad now. Hmm, I wonder if it's in season here? I bet it's about to be...
    p.s. glad to find you here in the sphere (smile).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love fennel. This recipe sounds so lovely and refreshing. A beautiful plate (and plating!) as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous salad! Omitting the seafood, do you think it would work well as a side dish to, say, salmon?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amanda, thank you! Absolutely it would!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good morning, I featured this recipe on my blog today, it looks great! Thanks for allowing me to share. Here is the link http://carriesexperimentalkitchen.blogspot.com/2012/04/week-14-seafood-frenzy-friday.html

    ReplyDelete