August 12, 2010

Rich Mineral Salad a.k.a. Super Healthy Salad


It may not always seem like it (at least judging by the amount of cakes I bake), but I actually live a pretty healthy life: I exercise daily, not because I have to force myself to do so, but because it's part of my lifestyle; I don't smoke, I hardly drink (compared to an average Finn I'm a teetotaller), and I cook healthy home made meals most nights of the week.

As boring as it may sound, I've always been this way and I think it's partly because of my genes (both of my parents are very active, and my mum's 94 year old mum still does exercise regularly), but also because of my up-bringing. Growing up in a small and remote town there was hardly any take away available. We didn't have Maccas or KFC and take away meals were considered as a rare treat when visiting bigger towns for speciality shopping, etc. Even now take away isn't what I automatically think after a long day. I usually prefer to cook a healthy home made meal instead, and many times I think I can actually put a meal together quicker than it would take me to wait for delivery or pick up take away.

I don't want to start preaching, but I could keep going on about healthy lifestyle, "your body is your temple"- kind of mentality for hours. This salad is one of those recipes that make you feel healthy already when you're putting the ingredients together: the freshness, the colours, the beautiful smell of fresh papaya and the dill. I also love to use buckwheat as an alternative to other grains.

I've posted this recipe once before but that time it was in Finnish so here's the recipe again in English. It's from a book called "Healthy Skin Diet" (which is not a diet book, but more of a lifestyle book) by Karen Fischer.


Rich Mineral Salad a.k.a. Super Healthy Salad
(Recipe adapted from Healthy Skin Diet by Karen Fischer)

1 cup buckwheat
1 tbs olive oil
1 small red onion, finely sliced
1/2 papaya, peeled and chopped into small cubes
2 cups of baby spinach, finely chopped
some fresh lemon juice (or lime juice)
1/2 cup of fresh dill, finely chopped
pinch of sea salt
(you may also add garlic and toasted pepitas)

Boil water in a saucepan, add the buckwheat and let simmer for 5 minutes or until just tender. Drain and rinse under cold water. Heat the oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion until soft, don't brown. Combine all ingredients in a bowl, season and serve with protein of your choice.




18 comments:

  1. As you know, I'm a healthy living girl also. I have been like that nearly two years now & LOVE LOVE LOVE it, soooo much.

    This recipe is yummy, I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe oozes healthfulness! I am into quinoa at the moment, and it would a great substitute for the buckwheat, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SO a Panu kind of meal. Although I'd swap out the papaya for like sweet potato or something because apparently fruit is not so good but sweet tater is a good carb. or something like that heheehe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great, a wonderful antidote to all those cakes! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks beautiful! Love your photos. I hope you will submit this to http://www.FindingVegan.com ~Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, so this is how you manage to wake up at 3 am and still look so good ;P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sad to say that as a dietitian I've never had buckwheat outside of a breakfast cereal. AND I've never had papaya in a savory dish! The shame. Looks like I'll have to make up for it with your recipe. Thanks for the kickstart -- very healthy.

    Cheers,

    *Heather*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious, luckily I think I've got some buckwheat leftovers to try this one out! I love beautiful dishes =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I second your thoughts Maria. Nothing like a home cooked meal and a good healthy routine. I am loving the bright colors in this salad. Absolutely drool worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the thought of a nice healthy meal, especially coming into spring, the colours of this dish look great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Maria, I just discovered your blog and it's a very pleasant discovery indeed; I love your healthy approach to food and the originality of the recipes here. Great blog, I subscribed!
    Dario

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, love the look of that salad! The colours are so vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful pictures, looks delish. Have you tried posting it on other food sharing sites? Like www.fiddme.com? It's great for food photography.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty looking salad! =D I think our lifetsyle does have alot of influence on our upbringing, if you're not exposed to all the unhealthy take away foods then you will never really ever have a yearning for it. I struggle to fit in exercise, only because it's something that was never in built but I know that I should, for the sake of my body.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am starting a 'healthy lifestyle' as soon as I get over this flu of mine! In a small way, you have inspired me to eat healthy! So thanks! Just wondering, so this is just a salad right, as in, you still have your 'main' meal after this? hehe. Coz I can never fill up havin salads at night! :P

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for all your comments!

    Vivienne: I'm so glad if this salad has inspired you! You could have this with some chicken or fish to make it a fuller meal.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hehe...I'm super unhealthy =D I think.
    But I love my fruits and veggies...as well as a lot of other healthy foods :) Which is why I think this salad looks really yummy! Especially because of the papaya- I love papaya!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Made this salad this morning to take to work for lunch, eating it right now and it's delish! Although I think I didn't add enough lemon juice - blame it on user error though, your recipe is perfect. :-)

    ReplyDelete