August 24, 2010

Pumpkin Chai Bread (Gluten-free)

Bored having the same old banana bread? Then try this recipe!

Lately I've been dealing a lot with pumpkins: I've roasted them, used them in salads and soups, but I hadn't yet tried my hands on the sweet pumpkin recipes. I browsed through a few recipes until I came across with this one: Pumpkin Chai Bread. Now how could I possibly NOT have tried this?

As I was mixing the dough it became obvious I was making something really good. The beautifully fragrant spices mixed with dark orange batter was just magical!


Pumpkin Chai Bread*
(Recipe adapted from GFG)

1 cup cooked and mashed pumpkin
1/2 cup light olive oil
1 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 large eggs
1/2 cup orange juice

1 1/2 cups gluten-free plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
(1 tsp xanthan gum)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves

1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

Sift the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Whisk together the pumpkin, olive oil, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla and orange juice. Stir in the dry ingredients and the walnuts and mix well until smooth. Pour the batter in to a greased loaf tin and bake in 175C for 40-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.

*I've made this gluten-free, but you could try using normal plain flour instead.
For gluten-free versions I would recommend using xanthan gum (which I omitted), because the texture will become a tad too crumbly without it. If anyone, however, can recommend a substitute for xanthan gum, I'd be more than grateful!

Enjoy!

18 comments:

  1. Happy first birthday Maria! And this looks great, isn't chai the nicest flavour? And that plate is gorgeous, I've been looking for one just like it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What did I never think of a Chai bread!? This is an extremely brilliant recipe. Thanks for sharing. Will definitely try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! Would be so delicious in autumn with a steaming cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made pumpkin scones the other day (recipe from Frills in the Hills blog) and they were really delicious. I hadn't made sweet things with pumpkin before so it was a bit of a revelation - I'm definitely gong to try this one (and I'll let you know how it goes with wheat flour).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who would have thought, chai masala in pumpkin bread? Nice one maria!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want Fall to get here soon! This looks delicious! :) I love both pumpkin bread and chai, so I am excited to see how this combo tastes! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos. I'm hoping for an invite to one of your tea parties one day! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This bread sounds absolutely delicious! As soon as I can get my hands on some canned pumpkin (stores have been out for a while here in Boston) I'm going to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. with autumn just around the corner, a warm, butter-slathered slice of this bread will be nice to wake up to! thanks for the recipe and the idea.

    cheers,

    *heather*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maria, I am so glad I found your blog! Love this interesting flavour pairing. Do you mind if I try to adapt this for my next steamed bread recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for all your comments!

    Shirley: I'd love to see your version of this! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm starting to gravitate toward warm flavors like pumpkin and chai with the weather starting to turn a little cooler. I bet it's absolute perfection with a mug of chai tea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the idea of combining chai with pumpkin. Sounds so delicious! I also love your little milk bottle in the corner :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh, this bread sounds soooo good, love all the spices you used...will have to make this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Intriguing flavour combination - I love both flavours separately - stands to reason I'd love them together too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm severely allergic to the squash/pumpkin family so I substitute sweet potatoes cooked in the microwave, peeled, and mashed. Works extremely well - almost exact same flavor, texture, and color -- and available year round.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chia seeds can supposedly be used instead of xantham gum. grind them and use instead of xantham gum, if you add water it makes a gel.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This recipe looks great!! I'm looking forward to trying it- perfect for my gluten and dairy free diet. A good, cheaper substitute for xantham gum is guar gum. It works the exact same way and can be substituted one for one. It's still usually found in specialty stores like Vitamin Cottage (though I'd still check King Soopers and other grocery stores). Its 1/3 to 1/2 the price of xantham gum. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete