August 30, 2010

The Lightest Chocolate Pudding

This light and tasty chocolate pudding is another Finnish dessert classic, and so easy to make you can whip it up in a matter of minutes. It contains no eggs, no gluten, it's practically fat free and it doesn't have much sugar either. There's no gelatine and no setting in the fridge so it really is a great dessert choice for both dinner parties and for kids as a healthy alternative to those sugary shop bought puddings. If you want you can always make this more luxurious by using dark chocolate instead of chocolate powder and serve it with a selection of different berries.

It has a soft and gooey, almost jelly-like texture. I think this light chocolate pudding makes such a fun, guilt-free and tasty dessert for both adults and kids!

The Lightest Chocolate Pudding

500ml milk

2-3 tbsp brown sugar

2,5 tbsp potato starch

1,5 tbsp pure Dutch cocoa powder, with no sugar added

2 tsp vanilla sugar

strawberries, or other berries to serve


Put the milk, sugar, potato flour and cocoa into a saucepan and bring to boil stirring well the whole time. Turn down the heat and let simmer for a minute. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the vanilla sugar. Serve with fresh or frozen berries and cream or ice cream if you wish.

Enjoy!

25 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you post more FInnish food lately! Chocolate pudding is my weakness, and this sounds and looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so good that your puddings have so little sugar, no eggs or gluten. Just the thing to whip up for dessert tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. no eggs and no gelatin that is awesome! cant wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments girls!

    Laura: Potato flour is used as a thickener, available in most health food stores and well stocked super markets :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mm yummi, i love fresh strawberries to=)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, substitute soy milk and it's dairy free too! Brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you hadn't said this was a classic I wouldn't have trusted the potato flour in a dessert! I will be keen to try this though as it does look lovely. I love your Finnish food posts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maria, Josh will hassle me every 5 minutes to make this if he ever laid eyes on this post. Please forgive me if I hide this from him.

    ps. looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds delicious, and I love that there's no waiting on gelatin to set. It's a 'must try.'

    ReplyDelete
  10. My chocolate cravings can be easily quenched by this delicious and guilt free pudding. YUMM.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just discovered your blog from FG. Love this idea of a pudding as I don't use gelatin. And this low cal and I can feel good about getting a chocolate fix! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree, very simple and so good=)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so good. I am a little confused, though: In the US what is labelled "potato flour" and "potato starch" are *very* different things. However, I know that what is called "corn starch" in the US is often called "corn flour" most everywhere else...so I am not sure which to use! Please let me know if you can clarify this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Meg: I read that potato flour is made using the whole potato whereas potato starch literally only means the starch has been used. I used potato flour in this one and that is what I would've used in Finland too. That is made out of the whole potato, not just the starch. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a pretty pudding! I would love to try it since I don't think I've ever had a pudding like it. Your description of it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Maria! This is awesome! sounds so quick and easy, gonna try it tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never made a pudding or mousse with out eggs before, so I'll give this a go. It looks beautiful and easy to make. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  18. if i had a big bowl of this in front of me, I reckon I'd eat my way through it! looks heaps yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh, this look delicious! And so beautiful! Your photographs are gorgeous.
    I've recently launched my own blog, I'd love for you to check it out and let me know what you think :) www.prettygoodfood.com
    Thanks, and Happy Cooking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Meg: Please accept my deepest apologies, you were right, they do sell potato starch here in Australia as potato "flour". but the ingredients, contrary to my belief, only include the starch, and this is what I used to make this pudding.

    I have updated the recipe, again I'm sorry for any inconvenience and thank you so much for pointing it out!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hmmm, so it's like a choc mousse that doesn't involve raw eggs?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I absolutely need to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. sounds great! can you use honey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't see why honey wouldn't work :-)

      Delete