August 22, 2010

Lemon Custard Tart and Happy 1 year!

After one year and 395 posts later I feel like I have come a very long way. I have learned so much, and I still continue to learn something new every day; that is one thing that keeps me going. I have also met so many wonderful people who share the same interest as me, and who never get tired of talking about food with me; and I've surely cooked and eaten a lot.

I continue to blog because I love every part of it, because it creates the much needed balance in my life, and because I am truly passionate about cooking, eating, food styling and food photography.

Thank you so much to all of you who enjoy reading my posts; your comments and support really means a world to me! This lemon custard tart is for all of you!

Maria
xox


Lemon Custard Tart
(Recipe adapted from The Gluten-Free Kitchen by Sue Shepherd)

130g fine rice flour
75g gluten-free corn flour
45g plain gluten-free flour
3 tbsp caster sugar
160g cold butter, chopped
120ml iced water

Lemon filling

2 cups milk
3 eggs
1/3 cup lemon juice
3 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
1/2 cup caster sugar

Icing sugar, to serve

Sift the flours in to a bowl making sure they are well combined. Process the flours, sugar and butter in a food processor until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Continue processing, adding 1 tablespoon of water at a time, until a soft dough forms. Turn the dough onto a floured board and knead for about 3 minutes or until smooth. Wrap in glad wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.

Grease a 23 cm tart dish. Roll out the pastry to a thickness of about 3 mm, ease into the tart dish and trim the edges. Place in the fridge for a further 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 170C. Line the pastry case with baking paper and fill with baking beads. Blind bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.

To make the filling, pour the milk into a saucepan and bring to simmer. Remove from the heat. Place the eggs, lemon juice and zest and sugar in a bowl and whisk with electric beaters until just combined. Whisk the hot milk into the egg mixture.

Pour the filling into the cooled pastry case and bake for 20 minutes or until firm to touch. Let cool and dust with icing sugar to serve.

37 comments:

  1. Congrats on the first blog birthday and this tart looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Maria on your 1 year anniversary! And what a perfect way to celebrate (ummm lemon tart). Here's to many more years :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 1st blog birthday! And thank you for sharing your love of food and recipes with us, especially all your gluten-free recipes of late - I've learnt a lot from you too =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 1 Year! Cheers to many more years to come!

    ps. i might steal that plate one day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 1st birthday to your blog! That lemon tart looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy blogiversary! yay for all the awesome recipes like this tart mm

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy blogiversary maria! here's to many more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds delicious and looks amazing! Happy bloggiversary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy One Year! 395 posts in a year is a huge accomplishment. I'm wishing you many, many more. Your tart is so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your first year bloggiversary. I am sure there will be many more to come. The lemon tart looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy 1st birthday and looking forward to many yummy posts to come!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous looking tart! It looks like the perfect way to celebrate! Congratulations and happy bloggiversary! Here's to many more delicious posts :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy 1 year birthday dear blogging friend.

    You should re-post your first blog post, to see how much you've changed.

    This tart looks delicious, lemon tarts are great & without gluten is a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very good year it's been for your blog - I've liked your recipes very much! Best wishes for the next year as well.
    Lovely tart, too - the cake, that is :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats for your first year! Beautiful tart. Loving the second pic, it's perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy 1st year Blogversary Maria! More yummilicious post to come ;)

    Lovely lemon tart! Looks so very smooth and creamy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's been a delightful pleasure to meet you as well, and I completely agree on the therapeutic benefits of doing a blog about not just food, but food photography as well. Many times it is the only bright side of my day, along with looking at your posts! =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the elegant photos in this post! Great food styling...elegant!
    Congrats on the 1st birthday...def a milestone and looking forward to more posts from you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful tart... love the images.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy one year honey bunny!!! well I'm especially pleased that you blog because it brought us together :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you sooooo much lovely friends! I really appreciate your comments! Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy first year anniversary! What a lot of posts for one year.

    This tart looks lovely and your photography is always so beautifully arranged. I love your natural light!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats on your 1st birthday Maria, the tart looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy 1st bloggiversary! Love your blog, so here's to many more years.

    ReplyDelete
  25. hehehe....happy blogversary! we started out blogs at almost the same time!! =O I never realised that...

    but wow! 395 posts?!?!?! I've barely managed 50.....haha I love your blog =D And this lemon custard tart looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Birthday! Wishing you a very successful second year of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy blogoversary! Wow! 395 posts in a year is no easy feat! I applaude you in your persistence for photography, styling and baking/cooking, not forgetting blogging as well!

    I hope to see more lovely creations from you! =D

    I'm usually quite afraid of tart fruits as I really can't take sourness but this looks really lovely. Nice yellow hue =D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy 1 year and many more to come hopefully. What a yummy looking gluten free tart, must keep this recipe somewhere safe.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats on your first year!
    I really love lemon tart and this looks and sounds lovely. I'm glad to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy Blogiversary!!! ... sorry its a little late .. but better than never :) p.s. like the new colour layout

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy blogiversary! Can't wait to read more food adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congrats on the year - and loving the food styling in the latest posts - tres chic!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congrats on one year - 395 posts is mighty impressive! This tart looks amazing - I'm going to make it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a delightful Gf lemon custrad tarte & hoeray for your 1 Blog anniversary!!

    You have a great & COOl foodblog!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is really beautiful and one of my favorite desserts. My question is what keeps the milk from curdling the custard filling when you put in the lemon juice with milk? Is it whole milk? I guess that is 2 questions. Happy Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  36. That is a good question! But to be honest, I don't remember any curdling happening and I used low fat milk! Sorry I can't be of more help here :-) It's a really nice tart, nevertheless!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete