August 04, 2010

Chocolate Tagliatelle

Too often it happens that I come across a recipe or an idea late at night when my level of functioning is not at its best (I'm a Morning person with a capital M), so I know that no matter how exciting the idea is I am better off waiting until the next day to action it. The problem is, however, that I often then have to sit on this idea for a whole working day before I can actually get started. This was exactly the case with this recipe for chocolate tagliatelle that I found in a French recipe book my brother sent to me, and I could not wait to get started!

I must note that I don't own a pasta machine (one of many things on my "to buy" list when one day I finally have a bigger kitchen), and you can certainly do this without a pasta machine, but it just means you need to roll the dough even and thin enough.

Chocolate Tagliatelle

250g flour
100g dark, pure cocoa (no sugar added)

25g caster sugar

pinch of cinnamon
*
4 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract


pistachios, to serve

*I had to fight the temptation to add some matcha in the dough...

Sift together flour and cocoa. Add sugar and cinnamon and mix well. Make a well in the centre of the flour and crack the eggs into the centre of the well. Add vanilla in the mix. Using a fork gradually whisk in the eggs until the dough becomes thick. Knead the dough until smooth and elastic. Roll the dough into a thin sheet and cut the sheet into long, 1cm wide strips. Boil water in a large saucepan, add the tagliatelle and cook for 3 minutes. Drain well. You can serve this with chocolate sauce, nuts, cream, ice cream...the choice is yours :-)

Roll the dough as thin as possible

Cut the dough into strips

Serve with pistachios

22 comments:

  1. oh YUMMO!!! how clever! fusion of chocolate into pasta never even crossed my mind before :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You amaze me with your determination. Me, I couldn't ever be bothered making pasta like this. I'm getting lazy in my old age. Nice roller btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG

    this is a must try...

    well for my friend who likes choc.

    KUDOS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH. MY. GOD. will you make this for me? PLEASE? and you can add matcha to mine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, wow, wow! This is inventive, I haven't seen anything like it before.

    How did it taste? You didn't tell us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonder how that'd go with savoury sauce? hehe.

    I'd like to try the matcha version too!! ;) have it with some red bean lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I experience the same frustration - if I get a recipe into my head, I want to make it ASAP! I'll bet this tastes as delicious as it looks...
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a chocolate pasta on my list of "foods to make soon" and this looks wonderful! It reminds me of the days when Ron Popeil still had a cooking infomercial and he would make chocolate pasta to wow the audience. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, you know I'm now waiting for you to make matcha tagliatelle. Or black sesame.

    Or maybe you can make pasta sheets and layer them into a 'lasagne' with red bean paste??

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks gorgeous! Chocolate + pasta sounds like a major win to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never even thought of doing this, but now, my day will not be complete unless I try it...., it looks amazing. Great invention.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh, I've never even made normal pasta, let alone chocolate tagliatelle! It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Wow! I am stunned!! This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never seen or heard of chocolate tagliatelle!

    I wonder how it tastes like... Floury? Chocolate-y?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dessert pasta!! Dhocolate! vry interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks guys! It tasted like chocolate! Interesting flavour :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow. can u make this for me plsplsplsplspls! *jumps up and down* :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hehe Maria I always marvel at how early you read my blog. Whereas I'm the polar opposite, a night owl! Well done rolling this by hand, I've done that once and swore never to do it again as I was so tired :P

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! This is so cool! Mmmm chocolate pasta :) Should make a ravioli and stuff that with strawberries and ricotta or something... Now that would be AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  20. this is most creative idea on earth, does it taste biter?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, I’m Sonia, italian foodblogger sorry for my bad english, I want tell you that I have included the link of this recipe (which I liked very much) in the section on my blog dedicated to “10 ways to make” (“10 Modi di fare”) tagliatelle. I hope not to bother you, have a nice day
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete