August 25, 2010

Chicken, red rice & pumpkin salad

I love the earthy flavour of red rice and it's definitely my favourite rice along with brown rice. This is a fulsome healthy meal and you can easily make different variations of it depending on what ingredients you already have at hand: try replacing red rice with wild rice, pumpkin with sweet potato, and adding sun dried tomatoes for flavour. Why not even try salmon instead of chicken. I adore the colours of this salad, and of course it's tasty, too ;-)


Chicken, red rice & pumpkin salad
(Recipe adapted from The Gluten-free Kitchen by Sue Shepherd)

2 litres chicken stock
150g red rice
1/2 small butternut pumpkin, chopped into small cubes
olive oil
250g chicken, roasted & shredded
(you can flavour the chicken however way you want,
mine was flavoured simply with curry powder & salt)
1/2 small bunch of fresh basil to garnish
salt, black pepper to season

Preheat oven to 180C. In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken stock to boil and add the red rice. Simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside to cool. Meanwhile, toss the pumpkin in olive oil and place on baking tray. Bake for about 20 minutes or until just tender. Remove from the oven and let cool. Place the cooled red rice, shredded chicken and pumpkin in a large bowl, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and toss gently to combine. Garnish generously with fresh basil.

Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. Mmm, I feel healthier just by looking at that dish of lovely red rice. I will probably have to make it and eat it to achieve optimum health, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh boy, this is such a delightful recipe. I've not tried red rice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The salad looks very delicious and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've always been intrigued by red rice but never tried cooking with it. i love the way you've combined this with pumpkin and basil. sounds so lively and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only ever cooked with red rice once before and have never tried it since. Beautiful salad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, I'm not sure I've tried red rice...is it actually a type of rice, or more similar to wild rice?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Maria. Thanks for dropping by my blog giving me the chance to discover yours as well.
    You have a wonderful collection of recipes here. This one here looks fantastic. I love rice dishes but never tried red rice before. So interesting.
    Magda

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a rice I have never tried nor seen! I could possibly here substitute roasted green wheat, which is widely available and highly nutritious as well. Love the addition of pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I've ever seen red rice before! I'm definitely going to look for it at the market. This is a really lovely dish to highlight it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful salad, the color is simply stunning, I love plates of colorful food, makes me super happy while devouring such great food!!yummy

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete