July 11, 2010

A heavenly union: Matcha Streusel Cake

I have to thank my half German half Japanese other half for most the Japanese influences in my life, including the heavenly matcha. Therefore, what a better way to celebrate the Matcha Madness Month than combining the two? I've made the German streusel cake before, but this time the extra ingredient is of course the Japanese matcha.

I knew the Japanese-German combo is a nice one *teehee*, but I was pleasantly surprised how well the combination works in this cake too!

Matcha Streusel Cake

Topping:

150g brown sugar
2tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
30g butter, chopped

180g butter, softened
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups plain flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp matcha powder
100ml milk

First make the topping: Combine sugar, cinnamon and walnuts and mix well. Using your fingers, rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.

Using an electric mixer, whisk the butter until creamy, add the sugar and whisk until pale and creamy. Add in a tablespoon of flour (to prevent curdling) and eggs whisking well after each addition. Mix the baking powder and the matcha into the flour, then stir into the butter and sugar mix. Add the milk and stir well.

Pour half of the cake mix into a greased square tin, add half of the Streusel topping, then top with the other half of the batter and finish with the rest of the Streusel. Bake in 170C for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.

Serve with Japanese tea...

Or perhaps with German beer?

Enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. Absolutely love the colour! And bet it would go wonderfully with the nutty, crumbly topping =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just imagine what this would taste like. I love the topping and matcha cakes are always divine. I could devour the entire thing in one sitting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds divine Maria, good work! Anything with cinnamon, nuts and matcha sounds like a winning combo to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, go the German beer! I now officially crown you Mo(z)mans matcha queen!
    Go matcha!
    Go matcha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you're going absolutely NUTS about matcha!! it's the best ingredient isn't it?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh you're so clever combining the two and LOL at the two working well together! You've got first hand knowledge of that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you know that Edna from the Incredibles is Japanese/German. What a combination! Love what you've done with the streusel and matcha, they would be a 'matcha' made in heaven, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hehe what a wonderful pairing! =D
    Oh missy you have me hooked on green tea lattes now! =(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that's what I call fusion cuisine :)

    The colour of the batter in tin is awesome! So intense..

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks gorgeous! I love everything matcha flavoured :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I luv the color! It looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the distinctive green colour that matcha makes everything. This looks great. Unfortunately everything I have tried cooking with matcha has been an epic fail.

    ReplyDelete
  13. my eyes are green with envy looking at the green of this cake :)
    just letting you know i've awarded you with the 'sweet blog' award. when you get a sec, swing by my blog and pass the award along!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow looked awesome, I just adore matcha! lovely ain't it>

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never had matcha but I've seen it pop up a bit lately (on other foodie blogs). I really must try it. I love the intensity of the green batter before cooking and the end result is very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh man this looks GREAT MARIA!! omnomnom

    ReplyDelete