July 20, 2010

Dango with matcha chocolate fondue

I've been wanting to make dango, those soft and sticky rice balls for a while now, but when I came across an idea of serving them with matcha chocolate fondue I was sold. Dango is super easy to make and don't take much preparation at all. I have a feeling I'll be experimenting with these a lot more in the near future...

Dango comes in a variety of different flavours and is often served on a skewer. A popular mitarashi dango is covered with a syrup made with soy sauce, corn starch and sugar. My version is the basic kushi dango, but I have given it a twist by serving it with matcha white chocolate fondue in honour of the ongoing Matcha Madness.

Kushi Dango

1 cup glutinous rice flour
1/3 cup water

Mix the ingredients together so that the dough is firm and smooth. Shape into small balls about 2cm across. Boil water in a saucepan and cook the dango balls in batches in the boiling water. When the balls rise to the top, let them boil for another 3 minutes before removing them with a slotted spoon.

You could also make chadango and flavour the dough with matcha powder.

Dough shaped into balls

The balls rise to the top

Uncooked versus the cooked dango

Slice the cooked dango on to the skewers

Sprinkle with matcha powder

And dip in the matcha white chocolate fondue..


Matcha white chocolate fondue

300ml heavy cream
300g white chocolate, finely chopped*
1tbs matcha powder (or less/more depending on how intense flavour & colour you're after)

Put the cream in a sauce pan and warm up without letting it boil. Remove from heat, add the chocolate and stir until fully melted. Mix the matcha with a small amount of cream and chocolate mixture until it forms a smooth paste. Stir the matcha mixture into the cream.

*You could use dark chocolate of course but I wanted a lighter green colour for the fondue.

Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD this looks insanely delicious!!! What IS dango? Is it kinda like mochi?! I can't wait to hang out with you next year, girl!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I've never heard of dango before! Interesting! I'm liking the sound of the white chocolate matcha fondue too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look gooooood Maria and I love the idea of matcha white chocolate fondue!! I <3 Matcha :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't heard of dango either and would've assumed they were unfilled mochi. Can up the matcha ante even further and flavour the dough with matcha powder??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can just feel the springy chewy texture of the dango on my teeth and the sweet dipping sauce would go so well! This is such an exotic dish to me, completely outside of my experience - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK Maria, where can I order some of these from you? I love dango and mochi and dipping it into green tea white chocolate is just an insanely good idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of dango before - are they like those gluggy dumplings you get at yum cha that are rolled in coconut? Regardless, the ones you made look adorable, and even better on a skewer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so yummy Maria! Truly matcha obsessed =p

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hold on, do you mean glutinous rice flour rather than glutinous rice? These are stunning Maria and I love the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - never heard of dango before - doesn't even sound Japanese! Look delicious though

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so good! I am too lazy to make it though :S

    ReplyDelete