July 13, 2010

Beef & Potato Korokke - Japanese style croquettes

With the beef mince and some potatoes in my fridge my usual choice for dinner would have been meatballs, but since I have been even more than my usual Japan crazy lately (as we are about to book our flights to Japan!!), I decided to make the ever so yummy korokke.

I just love these Japanese words that have been borrowed from other languages, and the way they are pronounced feels very natural to me thanks to Finnish and Japanese having a lot of similar sounds. Korokke of course comes from the word croquette, and these deep fried patties are usually made with mashed potato. This version has a slight curry flavour to it and I added a good amount of beef to make it a fuller meal.

Beef & potato korokke

250g lean beef mince
500g potatoes
small onion, finely chopped
1 egg (to mix with the potato)
1tsp curry powder
salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste

flour for dusting
1 egg, beaten
Japanese panko (breadcrumbs)
canola oil for frying

Boil the potatoes until tender, leave to cool. Saute the onion until soft, add the meat and cook until brown. Season well and leave the mixture to cool. Peel and mash the potatoes and stir in the meat mixture. Add in the egg and stir well.
Shape the mixture into thick fingers (or round patties). Coat each patty first in flour (dusting of the extra flour), then dip in the egg and cover with breadcrumbs. Deep fry or shallow fry in hot oil until golden brown. Serve with Japanese mayo and tonkatsu sauce.

Serve warm, these are highly addictive!

12 comments:

  1. I love korokke! Josh loves them even more! Looks like your getting lots of use outta your sexy new lens. good one maria!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look lovely. When I am coming round to try one?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could gobble a big plate of these right now! I haven't come across tonkatsu sauce before - must look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The funny thing is, I had family friend who I called Auntie and she was from Belgium - she made these gorgeous meat croquettes which I can swear are similar to yours and I have been looking for them in Belgian cookbooks for ages! Only to find this gorgeous version on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these moreish morsels and you're right they can be so addictive. Especially with Japanese mayo. That stuff should be illegal! I'll squirrel this recipe away for when I've got those spare ingredients too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE Croquettes! Oh you are so ready for Japan arn't you? =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm, love these! Especially when they've got a good ratio of filling. Hate it when they're hard to hold and eat when they've got too much mash.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE LOVE your photography.
    Anything bite sized is dangerous.
    Enjoy these babies, they look delicious

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh great job with your croquettes! Maria, you must be so excited about your trip! :D Will you blog it? BTW love the new pic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love croquette epsecially the japanese style with panko crumbs. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A new spin on meat and potatoes...This is dinner tonight! My American meat and potatoes husband will be happy. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete