June 13, 2010

Sachertorte - Austrian Chocolate Cake

Sachertorte, that famous Austrian chocolate cake has always had a special meaning to me. The original cake is only available in Vienna and Salzburg (and you can order it online!), but my mum always makes her version of this cake for Christmas and since I moved to Sydney I started making it for my boyfriend's birthday to mark a special occasion.

It is a very rich and dense cake, but a layer of apricot marmalade gives it certain sweetness. This cake is perfect with a cup of coffee and perhaps a dollop of cream if one so wishes.

Sachertorte

200g unsalted butter
200g good quality dark chocolate (I use 70% cocoa)
100g caster sugar
3 eggs
5 yolks
1tsp vanilla sugar
90g plain flour, sifted
2tbs potato flour
5 egg whites

apricot marmalade, sieved

Icing

120g pure icing sugar
100g good quality dark chocolate
1ooml strong coffee

Place the butter and chocolate in a bowl over hot water and leave to melt stirring until fully melted. Leave to cool. Whisk the eggs, yolks and sugar until pale and thick. Mix the plain flour, potato flour and vanilla sugar in a bowl. Whisk the egg whites until thick.

Fold in the flour mixture in to the egg and sugar mixture, then add in the cooled down butter and chocolate and finally carefully fold in the whites.

Pour the batter in to a prepared 3 litre cake tin and bake in 175C for about 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.

Once the cake has cooled cut it in half and spread apricot marmalade on to the other half. Place the other half on top.

To prepare the icing place the sugar, chocolate and coffee in a pot and boil until thick. To test that the icing is ready pour some cold water on a plate and drop some of the icing in to the water. If the drop of the icing stays firm then it is ready. Spread the icing on to the cake and let cool.

Serve this rich cake with a dollop of cream.

7 comments:

  1. Eating chocolate chocolate cake makes me feel like I am getting a cuddle from the inside. this looks lovely and rich. I really like the marmalade in the layer

    ReplyDelete
  2. A definite classic that isn't too fancy. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so elegant! I wanted to try sachetorte last time I was in Austria but didn't get to...thanks for sharing the recipe..now I can make it myself...hopefully it will look as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm I'd love to tuck into that right now. Meanwhile I have a cake in the oven as I type AND a piece of salmon smoking out the back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh having tasted Sacher at the Sacher hotel I have to say that it is a gorgeous cake! Yours look great Maria and I like the glossy icing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had sachertorte before- I love chocolate cakes though, and this looks wonderful- especially with the smooth, glossy icing!

    ReplyDelete