June 21, 2010

Jansson's Temptation

Jansson's Temptation or Janssons Frestelse as it is known in Sweden was perhaps not one my favourite dishes when growing up (I think the anchovies was an acquired taste), but I now understand why it's called Jansson's temptation: it is so creamy and delicious, perfect winter comfort food! Simple, but flavoursome, you can have it on its own or with a fresh salad. The anchovies give this dish a beautiful salty twist.

There are many versions of this traditional winter dish, but here's one recipe

Jansson's Temptation

4-5 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cut thinly
2 medium sized onions, thinly sliced
2 tbs butter
80g jar of anchovies in oil, drained, but keep the oil
300ml double cream (umm yes, this is why it's so creamy)
ground black pepper

Melt the butter and some of the anchovies oil in a frying pan, add onions and cook until soft, but not brown (about 15 minutes). Grease an oven proof dish (perhaps use a more shallow dish than seen on my photos), and place a layer of potatoes on the bottom.

Add the cooked onions and place the anchovies on top.

Place the rest of the potatoes on top and season with black pepper. Pour over the cream and cook in 200C oven for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are fully tender and the top has browned.

You can enjoy the creamy goodness on its own or with a fresh salad.

11 comments:

  1. that looks awesome...

    mhhh a bit of cheese on top of that would do me justice =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love potatoes but unfortunately hate anchovies =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm. Perfect winter food! Everyone needs to have a creamy gratin every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anchovies are something I can't live without. I adore them! Maria this potato dish must be so delicious. A plate of this alone would do me just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have never thought of putting anchovies with a potato bake. But I take your word it tastes good :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anchovies in a potato bake? I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummo! I love potato bakes and adore anchovies! This recipe looks overloaded with them too - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maria, these looks wicked! I think potato and anchovies is a wonderful combination - we use them together on pizza! Thanks for the recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks great! minus the anchovies for me though :O) perfect winter comfort food mmm

    ReplyDelete
  10. The name of the dish is really interesting- sounds more like a restaurant name than a name of a dish to me =] haha.....
    I've never had anchovies before.....but this looks really good! I love potatoes though, and this looks so creamy and yummy- perfect for winter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You miss Europe and I miss the Antipodes, what a pair we are! I had Jansson's Temptation in Laos of all places, at a Swedish pizzeria and it certainly was amazing, I love how anchovies give such a great depth of flavour without being fishy.

    ReplyDelete