June 24, 2010

Finnish Rhubarb Tart

It's "juhannus" (Midsummer) in Finland this weekend and what a better way to celebrate than making a traditional summer tart. Most homes in Finland would have rhubarb growing wild at the backyard but here in the midst of the city I don't have such luxury. This tart made me so homesick I just couldn't stop eating it (hey there's an excuse I haven't used before!). It is another one of my all time favourites, and so simple you can whip it up as a weekday dessert or for a quick afternoon treat in no time at all.

Finnish Rhubarb Tart

2 eggs
100g sugar
50g butter, melted
2 tsp vanilla sugar
150g plain flour, sifted
100ml pouring (light) cream
1 bunch rhubarb, peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
2 tbsp sugar, extra
demerara sugar

Whisk the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in melted butter and vanilla sugar. Stir in flour and finally the cream.

Mix well and pour into a greased tart tin (24cm).

Sprinkle the extra sugar on the rhubarb and mix. Spoon the rhubarb on the dough and sprinkle with demerara sugar.

Bake in 175C for about 20 minutes. Serve with custard or cream (or on its own).

A few notes...
  • Traditionally tarts like this (in Finland) are baked in a large oven sheet and cut in small squares to serve.
  • You can press the rhubarbs lightly into the dough to prevent them from drying out.
  • You can use the same dough to make an apple tart; replace rhubarb with thin slices of apple and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar!
  • Enjoy!

15 comments:

  1. Omg, this looks delicious & oh boy so simple.

    if only pastry wasnt full of butter & sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this because it's so simple yet elegant. I can imagine it would be just as good with fruits such as peaches or apricots (though maybe less Finnish?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OohLookBel: I was meant to say I use this to make apple tart as well! Thanks I've added it to the notes ;-)

    Laura: But butter & sugar is what makes it so yummy! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh is it that time of the year already!? I remember visiting Finland just after Midsummer and it was just so gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am currently drinking a cup tea and wish I had a slice of this in my other hand :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fantastic. I'm going to give this a try when I get back to the UK with some of the rhubarb my parents grow in their garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I looked at your photo I thought it was a slice of pizza, until of course I put on my glasses and noticed it was a delicious looking slice of sweet heaven! Yum. If I give you my address can you send me piece?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any excuse to indulge in some gorgeous looking tart! Can we all come over one day Maria? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maria this looks sooo yummy :D I love rhubarb. A tart like this would be delicious served with some creme anglaise.. Mmmmm :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOoOoo don't tell Panu but I might just make this for him soon. He misses his Finnish treats too. Over xmas he made some cinnamon scrolls, I was SO impressed :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maria, this tart looks amazing. I love how Finnish sweets really celebrate fresh, seasonal produce. Would be wonderful to have rhubarb growing wild!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very delicious!

    http://zuckerbaeckerei.blogspot.com/2011/05/rhabarberkuchen.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. just made this after having bought a bunch of rhubarb at the markets! delicious and so simple!

    ReplyDelete