June 05, 2010

Finnish Blueberry Pie

Every Finn would know this blueberry pie and I must admit it's my favourite as well. In Finland the blueberries grow in the wild in abundance and they taste much sweeter than the farmed berries you get here in Australia. My parents would always have the freezer full of berries that they picked (for free of course) from the forest. So you can probably understand why I can't quite get my head around paying so much for them in here. I couldn't help myself this time though, I was really craving for this pie and I'm so glad I made it!

Finnish Blueberry Pie

Dough
500ml milk
140g sugar

1tbsp cardamom

pinch of salt

4tsp dry yeast

about 600-800g plain flour

150g melted butter


Filling
600g blueberries fresh or defrosted if using frozen
1dl sugar

3tbsp potato flour


1 egg, lightly beaten

For the dough: Warm up the milk to hand hot, and stir in sugar, salt and cardamom. Mix the yeast with a small amount flour and stir in to the milk. Start adding the flour, stirring until the dough becomes thick. Mix in butter and more flour and knead until the dough is smooth and soft. Place the dough in a bowl, cover with cling and leave to double in size.

Roll out 2/3 of the dough in to a large square sheet about 2cm thick and place on a large baking tray lined with baking paper. Mix together sugar and potato flour and sprinkle half of the mixture on the sheet. Spread blueberries evenly on to the sheet and sprinkle rest of the sugar mixture on top. Fold the edges on top. Use the rest of the dough to roll out a lattice pattern on the pie. Brush sides and the lattice with the egg. Bake in 175C oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.

10 comments:

  1. This looks so amazing! The pie literally looks like it wants to pop out of the computer screen and into your mouth! Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yuummmm I can imagine this with a nice scoop of ice creamm mmmm warm gooey goodness in this winter! Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a gorgeous speciality! This pie looks so scrumptious!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice new home Maria! :) I agree, the berries in Finland are amazingly sweet aren't they. I remember having oatmeal with blueberry soup for breakfast when we were there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! I've only bought blueberries once, and I was shocked at how expensive they were! This pie looks delicious though- I might have to try this when blueberries are cheaper =P

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous pie!! I have only eaten berries fresh in Finland once, but they definitely left an impression. So sweet. Amazing.

    I really should be asking you about Finnish desserts this month for my blog! I will be really interested in your feedback - and other ideas for next time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous gorgeous blueberry pie! Who can make them better than the real Fin? Must try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh god I just commented on your rhubarb tart post but then I saw this. YUM! and Panu too - blueberry FREAK! I'm soooo making this but what is potato flour? is that like corn flour?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you eat this warm? Or cold?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do both, but usually it's eaten cold.

      Delete