June 10, 2010

Åland's Pancake

Åland Islands are those tiny islands situated between Finland and Sweden in the Baltic Sea. It's an area that I associate with summer cycling trips, predominantly Swedish speaking people and ticks. But there is something good coming out of these islands too and that is undoubtedly their famous pancake.

Who ever came up with the idea of combining porridge and pancake was clearly a genius, and let me just make it clear that Åland Islands are indeed an autonomous part of Finland, not Sweden, so perhaps it's safe to assume that the pancake genius might have been Finnish?

Åland's Pancake

500ml milk
45g semolina

4 eggs
80g sugar
500ml milk
100g plain flour
1,5 tsp vanilla sugar
1 tsp cardamom
pinch of salt

First make the semolina porridge by warming the milk in a pot and gradually adding the semolina while whisking continuously. Let simmer for about 15 minutes stirring continuously. Leave to cool completely.

Whisk eggs and sugar until foamy. Add all other ingredients, including the cooled down porridge and stir well to combine. Pour the pancake mixture in to a greased over proof dish and bake in 200C for 20-25 minutes until firm. Serve with a dollop of cloudberry jam.

12 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try these for breakfast one day. Genius idea indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a unique little breakfast treat--thanks for the introduction! what caught my eye, however, is that cloudberry jam--it looks positively delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe how cool! I love this idea of combining porridge and pancakes. It's so Finnish isn't it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so interesting. Mmmm cloudberry jam, is there a better sounding type of jam - I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of that speciality before... Those pancakes look delicious!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maria this looks devine. The only time I've really had semolina was when mum used to make us hot sweetened semolina in the winter when we were kids. The smell of the aland's pancake must be beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! A custardy pancake and with cloudberry cream! I adore pancakes of any sort and have never heard of these. Great description of the Åland islands (Swedish speaking people and ticks! Hilarious).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello :) You have a lovely blog :) I was wondering in many dessert recipes you write to use semolina, when in Finland would you use manna? Is it actually the same? I'm a bit confused :D

    You see I'm kind of in opposite situation to you as I'm an expat in Finland :) I don't really speak finnish, but I'd love to learn more about finnish cuisine, so your blog is like a bliss to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! Yes, semolina is 'mannaryyni' in Finnish. In Finland you can also get a healthier 'dark semolina' ('tumma mannaryyni').

    Glad to hear you like my blog, please don't hesitate to ask me if you have any other questions! ;-)

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! We had your pancake for the breakfast today. It was delicious!

    I got a small problem though (I had the same when making common pannukaku :( ). I don't know what's wrong but my pancakes always grow those huge air bubble mountains, and they never look so nice and flat as yours :( Do you know what I'm doing wrong? Maybe I'm whisking too much? Something has to be wrong with my way of preparing those pancakes because I've tried already 2 or 3 other recipes for pannukakku and I always get this problem :(

    Well anyway, the pancake was delicious and you're right that it is a genial improvement to the classic version :) Next weekend I'm gonna make it again :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey!

    I'm so glad you liked the pancake! Don't worry about the bubbles, they are part of Finnish pannukakku! ;-) The bubbles are more common with the regular pannukakku because the batter is lighter, but they are definitely 'supposed' to be there so you are doing everything right :-)

    Aland's pancake batter is a little heavier so that's why mine probably didn't have the bubbles. You can make this using left over rice porridge (riisipuuro) as well, if you like. It becomes a bit like baked rice pudding. Delicious in any way :-)

    Maria :-)

    ReplyDelete