May 24, 2010

Madeira Cake

I love lemony cakes and desserts and this cake is no exception. Simple yet tasty and when served with a dollop of vanilla cream it makes a perfect quick treat for an afternoon tea.

Madeira Cake

180g unsalted butter, softened
185g caster sugar
3 eggs
165g self-raising flour
2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
1 tsp lemon juice
2tsp caster sugar to sprinkle

Beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, beating well after each addition. Fold in the sifted flour, lemon rind and juice until combined. Spoon into a prepared tin (round 18cm tin), level the surface and sprinkle with the extra sugar. Bake in 160C for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Serve with vanilla flavoured whipped cream or dust with icing sugar.

8 comments:

  1. Very light and tasty looking cake. I think I would like eating this with lashings of raspberry jam in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love madeira cake. Though I have to confess to buying it in a block from the supermarket. Yours looks good enough to tempt me to try making it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister is in love with Madeira Cake. If she only eats this for the rest of her life she will be happy forever. I will show her this post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mark :) Yes I can imagine that would go well too!

    Belle: This is easier to make than buying it from a supermarket! :D

    Amy: Thanks Amy, your sister has a good taste ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love madeira cake too! It was one of my favourite cakes when I was little! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. great photos Maria, what a simple cake too (but im shaking my head at the amount of butter...lolz)

    but i do love madiera cake however ive never made it before.. so will bookmark this
    when i was younger my mom would buy the ones in the frozen section that requires microwaving/thawing (still pretty nice but nothing beats home made!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Lorraine! :)

    Betty: The butter is what makes this cake so delicious!! :D lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. THIS LOOKS AH-MAZING!

    It was great meeting you

    ReplyDelete