May 18, 2010

Kazbah on Darling, Balmain

I had been looking forward to visiting the famous Kazbah, but I had never expected the restaurant to be quite so popular! We were unable to get a booking for Saturday 11 am (with the intention to have brunch there), so we booked for 1 pm lunch instead and as we sat down at the table the queue in front of the restaurant started slowly growing...

We decided to order a few mezzes for a light lunch...

Chermoula Marinated Olives and Crumbed Halloumi Cheese with Quince Sauce - I am usually a big fan of marinated olives, but the chermoula mix was a bit too strong for my palate.

Crumbed Halloumi Cheese with Quince Sauce - I love halloumi and the sweet quince sauce was definitely a nice match to the cheese.

Basturma Wrapped Baked Madjool Dates Filled with Shadows of Blue - This was my favourite: the basturma (air dried cured meat) was very tender and I am a real sucker for those fresh, delicious dates! The Shadows of Blue was not too strong so all in all this was a very well balanced dish.

Chickpea Battered Walnut and Feta Zucchini Flower, Muhamara Sauce - So many new interesting dishes to try! I had not heard of the muhamara sauce before (I'm a real novice to Middle Eastern and Moroccan food), but pared with fairly bland zucchini flower it was very enjoyable.

I could definitely go back to this place. There is so much to try and they have a new menu out every few months! I do recommend booking early and getting a big group of friends to go so you can try as many as possible of those interesting dishes! :)

7 comments:

  1. I love Kazbah too! :D We've only been there for breakfast and holy macaron there was a lot of food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry I couldn't make it :( we were chowing down in Chinatown at the same time. Food looks nice and I can see you even wrote your web address under the Basturma

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm kazbah is awesome! the crumbed haloumi looks good and you must def go there for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard so many good reviews about this place. It's a pity I couldn't join you but will sure to get there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The more I read about this place the more I want to go to Kazbah. It looks and sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comments guys! I'm glad to go back if anyone's keen! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. the haloumi cheese mmmmmm...! :O)

    ReplyDelete