May 29, 2010

International Nippon Club Restaurant, Sydney CBD

I've been to the Nippon Club in Sydney CBD a few times before and it has a certain character to it that I like. I'm not sure how to explain it, but I guess it's a bit like a Japanese RSL. The food is authentic and decent quality, the setting is roomy and it doesn't get too noisy which is sometimes important when you want to have a good catch up with an old friend. There is a private room you can also book for a larger group.

I have sometimes spotted a group of Japanese business men gathering here after work drinking sake and Japanese beer and talking politics (well that's what I assume they might be talking about), and that is exactly what you would expect from this place. Perhaps a better place for lunch, but definitely not a bad choice for a low-key dinner. Please note that some dishes are not available before 7.30pm.

Nasu dengaku - This is one of my all time favourite Japanese dishes, but this one was not the best one I've had.

Vegetable and prawn tempura - Slightly disappointing because of bland taste

Grilled unagi (eel) is another one of my favourites and my theory is that a lot of sauce means worse quality eel. This one didn't have a lot of sauce, but again not the best one I've tried.

Tori no kara-age (deep fried chicken nuggets) - I remember having this the last time when I was here and I wasn't disappointed. A generous portion and tasty chicken.

Green tea ice cream with red bean paste - I can't complain. I don't think I have ever complained about ice cream.

Address: 229 Macquarie St, Sydney
Phone: (02) 9232 2688
Hours: Mon-Fri 11.30amd-10pm

5 comments:

  1. I've never had that eggplant dish so it looks really good to me and I can't go past unagi. One of my all time favourites in Japanese food

    ReplyDelete
  2. now u make me wanna eat the Unagi..hehe

    We have to be the member then can go to this restaurant?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unagi is always so good... :-D

    No you don't have to be a member, you just need to sign in when you enter (as you'd go into an RSL).

    ReplyDelete
  4. it was nice meeting you too! looking forward to see you again soon :) and ohh that eggplant dish looks good though! but i've never tasted one before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review Maria! I've always wondered what it was like in there! :P

    ReplyDelete