May 02, 2010

Dark chocolate orange cake

When I make a chocolate cake I like to use real chocolate, that is dark chocolate, not chocolate powder. This cake is yet another proof of my favourite combination: dark chocolate and orange.
The top is fragile and flaky, but the inside is soft and intensely delicious. The original recipe asked for Cointreau and I know it would have given the cake the most magnificent flavour, but substituting it with orange juice like I did was not a bad choice. The recipe is from April 2010 edition of Home Beautiful magazine.

Dark chocolate orange cake
Serves 8

300g 70% chocolate
100g unsalted butter, chopped
1 tbsp instant coffee
1/4 cup boiling water
50 ml orange juice (or Cointreau)
1 orange, zest grated
4 large eggs, separated
2/3 cup plain flour
1 cup caster sugar
Dutch cocoa, for dusting
Whipped cream, for serving

Preheat oven to 160C. Grease and line a 22 cm spring form cake tin. Break chocolate in a heatproof bowl, add butter and place over a saucepan of simmering water to melt. Stir until smooth and remove from the heat. Dissolve the coffee in boiling water, add orange juice and zest and add the mixture into the chocolate. Add the eggs yolks into the mixture and stir well until combined.

Sift flour over the chocolate mixture and stir until combined. Beat egg whites in a bowl until soft peaks form. Add sugar and beat until glossy and thick. Fold in the egg white mixture into the chocolate mixture in batches until just combined. Spoon into tin and bake for one hour or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool in tin. Dust with cocoa and serve with thick dollop of cream.

5 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you Kristy! It is very rich, but I like it that way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the flaky crust- the cake looks so good! I haven't had a good chocolate cake for too long...=[

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, I like to use real chocolate in cakes. Cocoa powder doesn't cut it :)
    This looks really delicious, like a rich brownie in cake form. Would love to try it with the Cointreau!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! :D Yes Cointreau would've been perfect, but I just didn't want to buy a whole bottle for 50 ml so I thought I'd try orange juice and it worked! You could try adding some brown sugar in the juice, apparently the taste is then closer to Cointreau.

    ReplyDelete