March 13, 2010

Taste of Sydney 2010

What an enjoyable day! Taste of Sydney really is my kind of event: FOOD, FOOD and more FOOD! It was a perfect day, nice weather, nice company (I was joined by Mr Kangaroo of course) and did I mention amazing food?

The best (and the most expensive) restaurants in Sydney were showcasing their signature dishes. The complete list of restaurants can be seen here. Isn't that great??

I was really looking forward to this one: Guillaume at Bennelong's Wagyu beef daube with Paris mash. The meat was melt-in-your-mouth, butter like, amazingly tender with the mash and the gravy complimenting the meat. I would've preferred more salt, but that's just me :-) Definitely worth 12 crowns (=$12)!

Next up more meat: 12 hour slow cooked lamb shoulder, minted crushed peas and feta dressing by Four in Hand. I personally prefer lamb over beef, but this still didn't beat the wagyu above. All in all nice combination and again worth the price (12 crowns).

Personal favorite, but I just love cured fish: Aria's Cured ocean trout with cucumber and horseradish. The trout had so much flavour and just the right consistency (not too soft, but with texture), and the horseradish and the dill was really a winner with the fish!

Finally desserts! This one the "Saucy tart" with chocolate mousse and liquid raspberry centre was by Danks Street Depot. It had so much going on: you crack open the chocolate topping to discover the velvety smooth mousse followed by oozing raspberry sauce surrounded by a crispy pastry. Delish!

Another dish I was really looking forward to was this wacky looking vanilla pacca cotta with lavender honey and fresh pomegranate by Jonah's at Whale Beach. I love panna cotta and this one was such a pleasure. It had just the right consistency and the lavender honey was possibly the best honey I have ever tasted. This was both mine and Mr Kangaroo's favourite dessert of the day.

One more dessert, but we just had to! Becasse's Chocolate souffle. Gosh, I wish my souffle could turn out like this! Beautiful, good quality dark chocolate (always a winner) made this dessert not too sweet, but just right. Smooth soft souffle was just a perfect way to end a wonderful day!

What else did we have? Creme al Caffe

Some tastings from Gourmet Dinner Service

Gorgeous macarons by Guillaume at Bennelong.

Bush spices, dukkah and vinegars

Cute cupcakes by Planet Cake

Richard Ptacnik from Otto at the Chefs table

My favourite butcher Victor Churchill's stall had some mouth watering meat on offer.

Oh if only I could go back tomorrow and try everything I missed out on today!

1 comment:

  1. nam, nam! If I were there, I would come! I want the saucy tart. In fact, I would settle for a cream filled doughnut right now. Guilty as charged, I have come back to look at these photos about 3 times now. haha.

    ReplyDelete