March 04, 2010

Pretzel Baking All Night Long

In honour of Miss A., who has kindly listened to me going on about pretzels pretty much all week (thank you!), this post is written in English.

Tonight I have baked pretzels for Mr Kangaroo who is having an International Food Day at work (talking about a dedicated gf!). The idea started out as chocolate pretzels which were basically just chocolate biscuits shaped like pretzels. Easier said than done, the dough was too soft and didn't end up wanting to co-operate at all. Out with the chocolate pretzels and in with the savoury German soft Pretzels!

After the first batch I finally started to get the hang of the twisting and turning and realised how much I love baking pretzels! The dough is just amazing, it is so elastic that you can do pretty much anything with it. There is simply no reason not to love baking pretzels. In fact, everyone should give it a go! Not only is it so much fun, but need I remind you how good fresh baked bread tastes? Add real butter and sea salt flakes and I'm in heaven! Enjoy!
(I'm so sorry Miss A. I wish I could send you some!)

German Soft Pretzels

7 g dried yeast

1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar

a good pinch of salt

375 ml warm water

4 1/2 cups plain flour

500 ml warm water
extra
1 1/2 tablespoons bicarbonate of soda

sea salt flakes


Dissolve the yeast, sugar and salt in 375 ml warm water. Add flour and knead dough on a floured surface until elastic. Place the dough in a greased bowl and turn to coat. Cover and let rise until doubled in size. Combine 500 ml warm water and bicarb in a square dish. After the dough has rise, cut into 12 pieces and roll each piece into a long thin rope. Twist and turn into a pretzel shape and dip into the bicarb solution.

Place pretzels on baking trays covered with baking paper, sprinkle with sea salt and let rise 15-20 minutes.

Bake at 230 C for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter and enjoy while warm.

1 comment:

  1. *sigh* I feel so honored :) They look so delicious! When I start eating gluten again I will have to try baking them myself :)
    We made pretzels sometimes as kids at home. My mom liked to do it so we could roll out the dough and it would save work for her!

    ReplyDelete