March 27, 2010

Lusikkaleivät - Finnish Spoon Biscuits

When I was making these this hot and humid morning I realised that these biscuits are actually perfect for a warm climate; there's no rolling and cutting and no chilling the dough over and over again, just spooning. How simple is that? My mum always used to make these and she still does, but unfortunately mailing them to me would take too long, thus I needed to make them myself.
These take me right back to childhood!

Lusikkaleivät - Finnish Spoon Biscuits

200 g butter
1 1/2 dl sugar
2 tsp vanilla sugar
1 tsp bicarb soda
4 dl plain flour

raspberry conserve
caster sugar

Melt butter in a pan and let bubble for a few minutes, but don't let it brown. Transfer the hot butter in a bowl and add sugar. Let cool, then stir. Add the dry ingredients and mix well. Use a small deep spoon to take spoonfuls of the dough and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake in 175C for 15 minutes or until lightly brown. Let cool, then spread some raspberry conserve on half of the biscuits and place the other halves on top. Roll in caster sugar.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, am thinking of making these soon & was wondering what 'dl' is: is it tablespoons or teaspoons? (I recently had a similar question to another recipe of yours but unfortunately I can't recall what dl stands for!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maria!

    'dl' stands for desilitres as in 100ml=1dl. In this recipe 1 dl of sugar is probably about 80g and 1 dl of plain flour is about 60g.

    Hope this helps!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. How delicious are these! I can't stop eating the ones I made, and they seem to improve with time too.

    ReplyDelete